Travel - would you go?

I am not sure if those fully vaccinated will be allowed to not wear a mask on flights and how this might be monitored/implemented.

From what I’ve gathered, masks and social distancing will be with us for a few years to come, long after national herd immunity has been achieved.

I read an article this morning where a Cork events organiser said, “there is no outlook for this year and we will be lucky to be back in action by St Patrick’s Day 2022”.

I read an article this morning where a Cork events organiser said, “there is no outlook for this year and we will be lucky to be back in action by St Patrick’s Day 2022”.
So most of the old people we are trying to protect will be dead anyway...

I think that what is happening with that Israeli girl , who had to quarantine in a hotel, is completely wrong though.
She should be free to go and should have never been held up in a hotel in the first place.

I’m not familiar with this case.
There has been a spike in cases in Israel in recent weeks. That’s good enough for me.

Even though she had her two vaccinations and a neg test all with the proof required.
That should be enough for the powers- that- be.

Not implying the woman from Israel isnt legit. Ideally she wouldnt have to quarantine. But is there an official document recognised by the EU or Ireland as a vaccine cert?

Just read the article.
Like many Covid restrictions, they are blunt, blanket measures.
A large portion of the reason for the mandatory quarantine is as a travel deterrent.
She has stated that she didn’t realise there was mandatory quarantine. To that all I can say is, “ignorance is no excuse”.

if I was in her position I would be very disappointed to have to quarantine if I had the vaccination received. What is the point in getting it at all if one cannot travel to any country. You still have to wear masks etc. and that is fine.

What is the point in getting it at all if one cannot travel to any country.

To protect herself, and to a lesser extent, to protect those around her.

Don’t forget, a vaccination is not a silver bullet. It’s just another weapon in the fight against COVID-19.

I think that you are missing the point though. We all have to protect ourselves and others and we all do everything we can to do so.
If and when I receive my vaccination I would expect to be able to travel too, safely , of course, and not have to quarantine .

if I was in her position I would be very disappointed to have to quarantine if I had the vaccination received. What is the point in getting it at all if one cannot travel to any country. You still have to wear masks etc. and that is fine.
Now they have taken Israel off the mandatory hotel quarantine list after it was successfully challenged by two people that were fully vaccinated, fair play to those people. They still haven't explained the criteria of why some countries are being included and why Israel with the most successful vaccination program globally was included initially.
They are doing all this a year too late anyway and after 4000 Brazilians have arrived anyway since before the quarantine was brought in. They are trying to fight the last war rather than concentrating exclusively on getting out the vaccines and stopping the queue jumping and messing that's going on with the vaccines. The ridiculous talk of vaccine passports has only encouraged the queue jumping.

Now they have taken Israel off the mandatory hotel quarantine list after it was successfully challenged by two people that were fully vaccinated, fair play to those people
No, that is not the order in which it happened.

It had already been stated last week that Israel was going to be removed from the list, which strengthened the challenge of those 2 people who were in quarantine.

The change this morning is that those from the 3 countries being removed from the list who are already in quarantine do not have to remain in quarantine.

They still haven't explained the criteria of why some countries are being included and why Israel with the most successful vaccination program globally was included initially.
It’s based on a country’s 14-day incidence rate. There had been a spike recently in Israel but the cases numbers have now dropped to an acceptable level.

They still haven't explained the criteria of why some countries are being included

Countries may be added to the “mandatory quarantine list” in accordance with the Health Amendment Act 2021

Section 38E of that act defines those countries as:

“The Minister may designate in writing any state (in this Act referred to as a “designated state”) where there is known to be sustained human transmission of Covid-19 or any variant of concern or from which there is a high risk of importation of infection or contamination with Covid-19 or any variant of concern by travel from that state.

In other words, the presence of either high case numbers or variant strains of concern will result in red listing.

Back