Travel - would you go?

If they are going to allow vaccinated people travel which are by and large older people, then they need to allow people with negative pcr test to also travel and those tests should be free. Afterall getting a vaccine is free and government determined. I bet the decision of those private school teachers and the hysteria of the teacher unions about being moved out of priority vaccination is largely motivated by vaccine passports. They want get vaccinated in time for the summer holidays I think it is incredibly stupid of the eu to be suggesting this when less than 10% of people are vaccinated. This is creating a vaccine rat race

If they are going to allow vaccinated people travel which are by and large older people, then they need to allow people with negative pcr test to also travel and those tests should be free. Afterall getting a vaccine is free and government determined. I bet the decision of those private school teachers and the hysteria of the teacher unions about being moved out of priority vaccination is largely motivated by vaccine passports. They want get vaccinated in time for the summer holidays I think it is incredibly stupid of the eu to be suggesting this when less than 10% of people are vaccinated. This is creating a vaccine rat race
I think the intent of the cert\app is to track if you've been vaccinated, if you tested positive within last 6 months, or have had a negative pcr test recently.
Single point of reference.

I can’t see much continental travel this summer. Not with the way things are going in France, Germany, Italy, et cetera.

I can’t see much continental travel this summer. Not with the way things are going in France, Germany, Italy, et cetera.
but UK looked like that before Christmas but now with 50% vaccinated they are in a completely different boat, it will be same for Europe just a bit later. You can write off travel if you want to, but Im certainly not

Germans are right now flying to Mallorca and Portugal. Travelling is happening and will further pick up - only because you don't travel doesn't mean others won't.

Germans are right now flying to Mallorca and Portugal. Travelling is happening and will further pick up - only because you don't travel doesn't mean others won't.

TBF, things are rapidly improving in Germany.
Both cases and deaths have roughly quartered since I made my comment.

TBF, things are rapidly improving in Germany.
Both cases and deaths have roughly quartered since I made my comment.
Or less reporting due to Easter. Some German states e.g. also paused vaccination as well due to Easter. In January Germans were flying to Malta to go on cruises....

Last edited:
I can see international travel being a source of ire this summer. A real division of the haves and the have-nots like we had in the 80ies.
RyanAir really levelled the playing field making it affordable for all. But the €500 fine plus €1,800 quarantine stay could be beyond the reach of many.

Having said that, if you’ve been saving during the lockdown because there’s nowhere to spend your money, a family of four could cobble together the ten grand in jig time.

I can see international travel being a source of ire this summer. A real division of the haves and the have-nots like we had in the 80ies.
RyanAir really levelled the playing field making it affordable for all. But the €500 fine plus €1,800 quarantine stay could be beyond the reach of many.

Having said that, if you’ve been saving during the lockdown because there’s nowhere to spend your money, a family of four could cobble together the ten grand in jig time.
There are plenty of valid essential travel reasons and the hotel quarantine is not applied so far to every country.

One can combine tourism with essential travel - I did that before Covid already and will continue to do that.

Haven’t we all, eh? The good old days!

Alas that’s irrelevant in these Covid times.

That would be like, let’s see, packing up the car for a day at the beach, driving to Gurteen Bay in Roundstone, being stopped by a Garda Covid checkpoint, and telling the Garda, “I’m visiting the graveyard in Roundstone”.
Combining business with pleasure back in the day doesn’t tally with combining restriction exceptions with pleasure during lockdown.

BWT, for clarity, I’m in Cork, Roundstone is in County Galway.

Haven’t we all, eh? The good old days!

Alas that’s irrelevant in these Covid times.

That would be like, let’s see, packing up the car for a day at the beach, driving to Gurteen Bay in Roundstone, being stopped by a Garda Covid checkpoint, and telling the Garda, “I’m visiting the graveyard in Roundstone”.
Combining business with pleasure back in the day doesn’t tally with combining restriction exceptions with pleasure during lockdown.

BWT, for clarity, I’m in Cork, Roundstone is in County Galway.
If I travel to country x for Business, a doctors appointment and a training - and in between I go there to the mountains and visit cities - no way Garda will and can do anything.
Also even if you travel to X for visiting a grave, Garda will not ask you to open your car boot to check for beach towels.
I do not see that irrelevant at all for Covid times.

If I travel to country x for Business, a doctors appointment and a training - and in between I go there to the mountains and visit cities - no way Garda will and can do anything.
They can fine you €500 at the airport. Or on your return. They’ve been doing it for weeks now.

They can fine you €500 at the airport. Or on your return. They’ve been doing it for weeks now.
If you had a valid reason for essential travel abroad you are not fined.
If I am able to prove doctors appointments, trainings etc all is good.

If there are no gaps in the dates, you’ll be grand. Don’t worry about it.
Is that codified in the law?

Even with gaps you can argue flights were not available.
If I have a training in country x - and you have a doctors appointment in 1 weeks time or so you can easily argue it is not reasonable to fly back quickly or that it was not possible. Also flights can be missed...
Or what happens if GP in country x gives you a sick note for 2 weeks... would be illegal if you are not sick and the doctor would do it as a favour. But definitely it will happen and the Irish government can do nothing here.

The current law makes it more difficult and inconvenient - but everyone who wants to travel will so.

Back