Travel - would you go?

The cabinet are set to make a decision on international travel tomorrow. Most likely they’ll adopt the EU green vax cert system.

It seems that those with a double jab will receive a vaccine passport allowing you to travel without restrictions....however does without restrictions mean, that you will not have to have a PCR test on leaving the country and one when entering another EU country? Also will you need one on returning home?

Bit of humour, the BBC is reporting that Portugal is coming off the UKs Green list , moving to Amber.

However countries added are Afghanistan and Sudan to name 2.....of many obscure countries.

Afghanistan in June great fortnight.

EDIT:Apologies Afghanistan and Sudan were added to the Red list. Long Day took a bus today first time since November 2019

Last edited:
Any idea if translation of the negative PCR test is needed?
It's not mentioned on gov.ie so I'm assuming not.

Why is just about every other country in the EU, the USA and the UK opening up air travel using rapid antigen testing but we are not?
What does Tony & Co. know that everyone else doesn't?

Why is just about every other country in the EU, the USA and the UK opening up air travel using rapid antigen testing but we are not?
We Irish are not like the EU USA or the UK we like to give out about our government between elections, Then after an Election, we expect the next Government to be exactly like the one that called the Election,

I do it myself vote for the people who I know will waste my tax money and design systems to exist to transfer as much of the hard-earned cash as possible out of my pocket to vested interest and do nothing to stop it,

hoping I like most see looking after vested interest lobby is in my best interest,

Last edited:
I do it myself vote for the people who I know will waste my tax money and design systems to exist to transfer as much of the hard-earned cash as possible out of my pocket to vested interest and do nothing to stop it, hoping I like most see looking after vested interest is good
I vote purely on economic grounds, knowing that the vested interest groups are more powerful than any government I pick the Party I think will do least harm.
On this issue I see a government which is a prisoner to unelected experts who give advice on one specific area, a government which should frame that advice in a broader societal and economic context but is afraid to do so.

At present in Ireland, You don't have to be a very powerful vested interest group to get your way, the Government start to roll over when the see them coming,
Seeing this thread is about travelling ,
When you go out to vote again remember politicians know a wealthy traveler fears an ambush one with almost empty pockets journeys on in safety,

To Quote Albert Einstein,
An empty stomach is not a good political Advisor,

Maybe because there are a fair rate of false negatives with antigen tests and they are worried about legal action like has happened with cervical smears. You can't have "absolute confidence" with antigen tests. See attached.

Did the Government at the time appeal the ruling or just let it stand,

They could have put it to the people to decide and point out the downside if let stand,

if we did not mind paying the future price of the Judge's ruling pay up, Time we grew up as a nation and start paying for our actions or inaction,

Last edited:
Maybe because there are a fair rate of false negatives with antigen tests and they are worried about legal action like has happened with cervical smears. You can't have "absolute confidence" with antigen tests. See attached.
Who is behind this not the government,

If it had anything to do with the above link they should come out and say so,

I just noticed the advice not to use the antigen tests is not coming from the government,

Last edited:
The biggest issue is guards at the airport asking you why you are travelling and handing out a fine if it is non essential, thats extraordinary by international standards. Most countries have restrictions on entering the country not on leaving it. Its like a throwback to the Soviet union , "Can I see your permission ? Where are you going ? Cuba Carry on Comrade

I don't know what Nphet knows or doesn't but here is an article that should explain the views of both sides of the issue.

It would appear that the PCR test is much more sensitive in the detection of the virus antibodies at 98% while the minimum requirement for antigen tests is 80%.

It also says that the virus enters our cells in 2 places which apparently makes accuracy an issue.

Last edited:
The biggest issue is guards at the airport asking you why you are travelling and handing out a fine if it is non essential, thats extraordinary by international standards. Most countries have restrictions on entering the country not on leaving it. Its like a throwback to the Soviet union , "Can I see your permission ? Where are you going ? Cuba Carry on Comrade
Joe we have imported all our cases but some people still decided to travel on holiday or for "dental appointments " but never showed up. You had your wan coming back from Dubai who went there during a lockdown.
What are the Government to do?
To equate this country as a communist state is infantile claptrap. Everyone wants to see this virus controlled and life getting back to "normal " and if some think they are individually more important than the rest of the population then fines should the minimum consequences, punishment should be much more severe.

The biggest issue is guards at the airport asking you why you are travelling and handing out a fine if it is non essential, thats extraordinary by international standards.
No Joe that is not the biggest issue, not by a long shot. There are many bigger issues, one of which are the selfish me feiners who engage in non essential travel for their own gratification and to hell with the rest of us.

I don't know what Nphet knows or doesn't but here is an article that should explain the views of both sides of the issue.

It would appear that the PCR test is much more sensitive in the detection of the virus antibodies at 98% while the minimum requirement for antigen tests is 80%.

It also says that the virus enters our cells in 2 places which apparently makes accuracy an issue.
I fail to see how an additional test which is 80% accurate is a bad thing. Nobody is suggesting that it replaces PCR testing.
The way to view it is that if the test is positive then you have the disease. If the test is negative then you may or may not have it.

That article is from over a year ago. There has been significant change since then. NPHET seem to think that it is a case of either or when it comes to PCR and Antigen testing. They also seem to think that the majority of the country are too thick to realise that a negative Antigen test is not a green light to ignore all public health guidelines. And yet we are smart enough to realise that a negative PCR test doesn't mean we can ignore the same rules. Antigen testing will capture people with high viral loads or when they are most infectious. Yes they will miss some positive cases and everyone accepts that. A PCR test will give a positive long after someone with Covid is infectious. I could get covid, quarantine for my 14 days and still get a positive PCR test weeks later so is not perfect either when talking about reopening.

It is not a choice between the two tests. They can be used together. I heard someone say, you want to diagnose Covid, then use a PCR test. You want to stop the spread of covid, then use widespread antigen testing. We already use it some work places like meat plants where there haven't been outbreaks in months and case numbers are low so I struggle to see the logic of why a wider role for the tests in society seems to cause such disdain. Having NPHET call them 'Snake Oil' was highly irresponsible.

I fail to see how an additional test which is 80% accurate is a bad thing. Nobody is suggesting that it replaces PCR testing.
The way to view it is that if the test is positive then you have the disease. If the test is negative then you may or may not have it.
But are the ones available to us at 80% ?

Frankly I don't know and reading the article only one test has gotten authorisation in the US. I really don't know if the ones being sold here are approved.

But are the ones available to us at 80% ?

Frankly I don't know and reading the article only one test has gotten authorisation in the US. I really don't know if the ones being sold here are approved.
So why are Canada and the USA and the UK and much of the EU using them? What does Tony know that the rest don't?

I know we think we have a 'World Class Education System' but are we really so delusional that we think our doctors and scientists are better than those in the aforementioned countries?

Back