Other Travel Insurance - Insurer denying liability

gh0676

Hello,

I was due to travel to Disneyland / Universal in April on a family holiday. I took out a 2 week Premium travel insurance (and I paid extra to cover for natural catastrophes).

The trip was cancelled due to the corona virus. I managed to get a refund for the flights and hotel directly from the travel agency but was advised to hold off looking for a refund concerning the attraction tickets until things settle down (tickets are valid for a year).

I just contacted the travel company for an update today and they advised, that only 80 % of the attraction tickets is refundable and I would lose 20%, which is almost 1,000 Euro hit in my case. They also advised that the tickets have been extended for an additional 6 months, If I decide to not take a refund.

It is unlikely now that we will get to travel next year and I contacted the Insurance company about clamming the 20% shortfall. They advised that I cannot claim the 20% shortfall because the tickets validity has been extended, they tickets are still valid and I can still travel anytime up until October next year. They advised that any loss would be my own responsibility as I was the one who decided not to travel in the future.

My travel insurance was for 2 weeks in April, I did not travel in April, and I no longer have a hotel or flights arranged. The Insurance company advised that I could book new hotel and flights and still use the tickets before October so they are not accepting liability. Are the insurance company correct denying liability for the 20% shortfall I will lose by seeking a refund on my attraction tickets?

Last edited:
Are you saying that the actual attraction tickets cost €5000 on top of your flights and hotel costs? Although a €1000 loss is considerable it seems more acceptable when considered in proportion to the cost of the original attraction tickets and package combined.

The challenge now is that the tickets are still valid, so you haven't actually suffered a loss on them yet. Having accepted the extension, you acknowledged that you would not be availing of them during the insured period, so although we don't know the exact details of the cover you held, it sounds reasonable that they would refuse cover.

Back