Travel Insurance Claims - How we got on

Clamball

In June my husband and I were due to go to Canada for a holiday and our young adult daughter was due to go to the USA on a holiday, also in June. We have insurance with multitrip.com and my daughter was with Insure and Go. My daughter has a weird underlying health condition so I got her platinum level insurance as this was the USA and I was worried if she became ill on her trip that she would need to be fully covered. Only questions they asked was the name of the condition and if she had an unexpected hospital stay in the past 2 years - which was no.

And then my daughter got an infection in May and ended up in hospital for 10 days followed by 6 weeks of IV antibiotics administered at home. After 7 days in the hospital they confirmed that it would be the full 6 weeks of IV antibiotics so we had to cancel both holidays.

Both our claims were dealt with by mapfre.com so maybe Insure and Go and Multitrip.com are both the same company. All the paperwork was identical in any event.

For my policy I had airbnb accommodation to claim for, Husband has booked flights with Air Canada and was fully refunded as he went with premium economy when he booked. I had gotten a 50 % refund from airbnb and I had a letter from the hospital doctor explaining the reason why. However I still needed a form filled out my by daughters GP which I was able to do at the same time my daughter got the same form filled out for herself.
They settled the claim very quickly - they would only refund 50% of the claim as it was for 2 people (not just me) and they took off an excess of €150 so I ended up with a refund of less than €100. I was very disappointed that they would only refund the 50 % but apparently there is an option of getting a joint travel insurance which is what we are going to do in the future. My husband got both travel insurance policies over the phone and they did not mention this option at the time, just insured us both separately.

For my daughter I was able to get 100% refund of her accommodation as I had booked that with booking.com but her flights were with Aer Lingus so they gave her back €61.35 in fees only. Again I had the discharge letter from the hospital, and a letter from the hospital doctor explaining why she could not travel but I still needed a GP to fill out mapfre.com own GP form (which asked the GP to include her date of birth - as well as her registration number). I submitted all the paperwork but heard nothing for about 3 weeks when they came back looking for additional medical information - from April 1st (I took out the holiday insurance in late April) to the date she got sick. They wanted all correspondence, test results, referrals etc. between those two dates. The GP practice was very fast at supplying this. And we submitted that at the start of July. Heard nothing back so queried it at the start of August, said it would be a max of 6 weeks from the date of submission of all requested information. Gave them 7 weeks and phoned again this week and was told it would be a couple of more weeks but today got a letter giving a 100% refund.

I discovered it is very easy to take out insurance, but very tedious claiming on it. All they asked when I took it out was 2 additional questions - But they were unwilling to accept the hospital letters - and I included further proof of the IV antibiotic treatment as well. They insisted on the GP form, although my daughter never attends her GP - (she is looked after in the hospital system). The GP said she had never filled out one of these forms before and we were all surprised that they wanted the date of birth of the doctor. And they were very slow - about 2.5 months. They also wanted a copy of the insurance certificate, proof of payment of the policy, booking of flights, refunds of flights etc. On the positive side everything could be submitted electronically I thought I would have to post them in because the claim forms needed to be signed - but they were happy with a scan.

As I said it was all very tedious, I had to do everything in duplicate and it was all a bit of a pain while still dealing with a sick daughter.

I am peeved they did not recommend to my husband to name the spouse on each individual insurance policy, and I felt they really dragged their heels on the higher potential claim from my daughters policy but paid it all in the end.

Reactions: Leo
Back