Travel insurance age 85

Ryan

Trying to get travel insurance for my fit and well 85 year old grandparents to visit family in the US and it’s proving very difficult. They have private medical insurance but they won’t cover someone over 80 in the US. A few others I’ve tried will quote but won’t cover pre existing conditions. One has high blood pressure so if she was to have a stroke or heart attack she’s not covered and you can’t risk that in the US even though she’s never had any issues..

Insure and Go or Blue insurance seem to be the on,y 2 options at €450 for a 2 week trip, are there any others I have missed or anyone else that has dealt with this?

I see Age Action have this document but it appears to have been updated in 2016 so one would have to wonder :confused:

See the article also mentions the UK https://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/over-65s/ for advice

Chill appear to cover up to 86 but I have not checked the pre-existing conditions aspect https://www.chill.ie/customer-care/travel/eligibility/

The one thing, that I understand that you need to be very careful about with travel insurance, is the small print. Read through the T&Cs carefully, as I have read in the past, that companies turn down a lot of claims, where people have not read the documentation carefully, and are actually not covered, for what they thought they were. So do your homework before purchasing :)

Trying to get travel insurance for my fit and well 85 year old grandparents to visit family in the US and it’s proving very difficult. They have private medical insurance but they won’t cover someone over 80 in the US. A few others I’ve tried will quote but won’t cover pre existing conditions. One has high blood pressure so if she was to have a stroke or heart attack she’s not covered and you can’t risk that in the US even though she’s never had any issues..

Insure and Go or Blue insurance seem to be the on,y 2 options at €450 for a 2 week trip, are there any others I have missed or anyone else that has dealt with this?
If you have VHI already, I found the annual MultiTrip policy the best. Having said that I'm not sure if its age limited.

VHI Multitrip wont cover someone over 80 in America, they would in Europe
others will quote but won’t cover any pre existing health issues which isn’t an option in the US.

The best we have so far is €440 each with Laya and they will cover pre existing conditions as long a you have private medical insurance which they do

Back