Travel insurance 6 months to process a claim - is that reasonable?

Merlin

Hi there,
I got caught up in the airport disaster in May at Dublin airport and my return flight with Ryanair from Berlin was cancelled with no notice. As there was no Ryanair flight available for another 2 days I ended up booking a new flight with Aer Lingus. I submitted a claim at the start of June for expenses like Taxis, sustenance etc all furnished with receipts after Ryanair had advised they would cover nothing. Up until today, I have received a number of emails acknowledging receipt of my claim and stating delays due to the high volume of claims.
I have requested a copy of their complaints procedure as none is available on their website as I understand that I need to complain to them before I can take this any further. I'm surely not being unreasonable am I?

Irina

Hi there,
I got caught up in the airport disaster in May at Dublin airport and my return flight with Ryanair from Berlin was cancelled with no notice. As there was no Ryanair flight available for another 2 days I ended up booking a new flight with Aer Lingus. I submitted a claim at the start of June for expenses like Taxis, sustenance etc all furnished with receipts after Ryanair had advised they would cover nothing. Up until today, I have received a number of emails acknowledging receipt of my claim and stating delays due to the high volume of claims.
I have requested a copy of their complaints procedure as none is available on their website as I understand that I need to complain to them before I can take this any further. I'm surely not being unreasonable am I?

Irina
are you sure ryanair dont need to compensate you? on what grounds, i presume they have at least refunded you?

are you sure ryanair dont need to compensate you? on what grounds, i presume they have at least refunded you?

See below Ryanair's response to my claim and yes they refunded me for the return flight I did not use. We were scheduled to fly at 22.00 all checked in and ready to board. The plane arrived late and due to no night flight in Berlin we were told I quote: the flight is cancelled we should be at the airport at 9 am the next morning to catch our flight . Next morning at 7 am I received an email from Ryanair telling me to go on to their app an book a new flight. The next flight was 11 but it was already booked out. There were no flights until 2 days later in the evening. However I don't know how but they are able to call this a Delayed rather than cancelled flight, which is why they can do the below ?

I regret the delay of your flight FR8559 from Dublin - DUB to Berlin - BER on the 27/05/2022, which was caused due to airspace restrictions.

As this delay was unexpected, no compensation is due under EU261/2004 as this was caused due to circumstances beyond Ryanair's control.

Well I'm delighted to report that my claim has now been responded to and resolved by the insurance. Thank you Askaboutmoney ;)

Back