transferring shares after person dies and was uk resident help??

NOAH

A friend of mine from the UK has lost his mother and he is the executor of her will. His mother had shares in dragon oil and these have been left to him but he is having an almighty problem in getting them transferred to his name, he was told by quite a few people that he has to quote his mothers PPSN number!! but she has never even been to Ireland. I agreed to help and rang computershare and was told the same thing, must get a letter of clearance from Irish Tax office and he must quote PPSN. I explained the bit about UK etc and after holding was told sorry use UK NI No. I was then given a tax tel no to ring re letter of clearance but it is permanently engaged. I rang tax forms and leaflets just now to ask for letter of clearance to be told we dont deal with that ring such a number and ask for cs. I rang number to be told it was only manned from 9.15 1.00pm each day as they are so busy!!

I am here in desperation in case anyone else had the same hassle and know who to contact in Tax Office etc.

Thanks

noah

Five years on from my father's death we are still trying to transfer his Vodafone shares into my mother's name (with the added complication that the share certs were lost necessaitating the completion and return of a letter of indemnity stating this to be the case). The last attempt when my mother sent all the requested documentation and administration fees to Computershare failed when they returned it all for some reason... :(

at least he is not alone. It makes me wonder about having shares!!

NOAH

Hi Noah! My mother - who died over 2 years ago - left me shares in a couple of major Irish companies. After 24 months of 'persuading' the solicitor acting for the estate I finally received an Interim Dividend statement. The shares have apparently been transferred to my name...........but the dividend is payable to my dead parent (making this investment unusable, unbankable and unspendable)!

It's a nightmare. Please post again if you get any satisfaction and find out more about this area.

Oddly enough my mother receives Vodafone dividends payable to my father's estate which she can lodge to her account no problem (although I've told her she'd be better off reinvesting them using their DRIP scheme given the small amounts involved).

Back