Transfering shares from SP scheme to DeGiro - CGT?

Johnny12345

I have some shares in "company x" in a revenue approved share participation scheme.

They have matured now as they are were issued 3 years ago and I want to transfer them over to Degiro i.e. keep my holding of "company x" but just switch brokers.

Would I have to declare this transfer and pay CGT? The gain would be in excess of €1,270.

I think CGT is only due when you dispose of the shares. You're only transferring, you're not selling.

You can instruct a free delivery of the shares from one broker to another. If it is a market that has stamp duty, make sure it is tagged as "no change of beneficial owner" so will be exempt from stamp.

Moving broker isn't a liquidation so no realised capital gain

You can instruct a free delivery of the shares from one broker to another. If it is a market that has stamp duty, make sure it is tagged as "no change of beneficial owner" so will be exempt from stamp.

Moving broker isn't a liquidation so no realised capital gain

Many thanks for the informative answer.

Did you get anywhere with this transfer? I was in a similar position mid march, I opened a Degiro account for this reason as company shares had dropped. Rang degiro and told me they weren't facilitating any transfers due to skeleton staff because of Covid.

I contacted the holding company of the scheme and they confirmed there's no tax liability to essentially switch brokers but keep the shares. In the end I decided to cash just enough to avoid paying CGT.

Back