Transfer of Site

new selfbuilder

Hi all,

I am currently 3 weeks into my planning application with the council to build on my fathers land, he has given me just under an acre to build on and it is agricultural land atm. I am married and it will be our primary place of residence.
My question is should we wait until I get planning to transfer the site into both our names as we will be getting a mortgage or should we get cracking on it now while the land is still agricultural land so as to pay less duty?

Most people if buying a site would do so subject to planning being approved and then go through with the sale/purchase. You're trying to avoid duty if you can, but revenue might see what you're attempting as avoidance.

Most people if buying a site would do so subject to planning being approved and then go through with the sale/purchase. You're trying to avoid duty if you can, but revenue might see what you're attempting as avoidance.

Could a person (due to inherit land) not get the land transferred into their name as agricultural first and then at some later date apply for planning permission. Rather than wait until planning has been granted before getting title, meaning a presumably much higher value on the land
How does the revenue account for this ?

Could a person (due to inherit land) not get the land transferred into their name as agricultural first and then at some later date apply for planning permission. Rather than wait until planning has been granted before getting title, meaning a presumably much higher value on the land
How does the revenue account for this ?
I can see where you're coming from as a piece of ground with PP will normally have a higher value than agricultural land. best advise is always wait until planning has been granted but as its in a rural area there will be restrictions on who can build there (subject to planning of course) and if its conditioned on the PP that it can only be family members then it shouldnt really make a huge difference to the value. But that is something you would need to clear up with the valuer. Regarding taxes, I dont really know the limits these days as things have changed in different budgets recently but again your valuer/auctioneer or solicitor would have all this info.

Back