Trademark registration query

Salvadore

My wife has operated a business as a sole trader for over 20 years using a trading name (lets call it Acme Services) that has long been registered with the CRO.

In recent weeks, she got an email from an IP registration company purporting to act for another, more recently established, of the same name. The new company apparently wants to register the trademark of the company name.

The IP registration company acknowledges that my wife has first dibs on the option to register the company name as a trademark and, in this context, offered 3 days for a response after which they would proceed to register the name for the new company.

My wife sees no particular need to register her company name as a trade mark but is concerned that if the new company does so, it may implications for her.

My question is, if new company registers the trademark, is she precluded from using the name herself in the future?

Grateful for any insights.

Forget it. It's a scam. And look more closely and critically at unsolicited emails in future.

Last edited:
Forget it. It's a scam. And look more closely and critically at unsolicited emails in future.
Thanks. That was my immediate reaction.

However, there is another company of the same name which recently formed and which has an EU-wide presence. This gave the email some plausibility.

Adding a tight deadline to instil a sense of urgency is basic scammer modus operandi. 3 days would be an unusual time frame for a regular business to expect.

What IP registration company is it? Are they well regarded?

Back