Tracking Down Owner of a property next to mine in the Caribbean

Abbeyside

Looking for some help.
I have come across a property in the Caribbean next door to my own in a gated community, it was getting run down and I wanted to touch base with the owners to get them to tidy it up bit.

I got in touch with the management company looking for the owners details, they came back telling me that it's company policy not to give out owners details, but did divulge that the owner was deceased and on inspection that the deeds in Land Registry still had them listed as the owners.
I argued that GDPR generally doesn't cover the deceased, but they were not moving on their position, on checking Land Registry the management company is the owner of record, I checked the Property Tax records and the last time property tax was paid it was paid by the management company. I have also asked the housing association but they don't have ownership details for the property.

The management company have said that they have passed my details onto the representatives of the deceased and let them know that I wish to touch base with them but I haven't heard anything in the past 6 months despite fortnightly emails. The sceptic in me thinks that the management company don't want the representatives to know about the property and they hope to acquire the property by way of a lien for unpaid management charges, also the representatives might have been aware of a property in the Caribbean but searches through Land Registry proved fruitless. So my question is can I bring any to bear on the management company so that they divulge the true owners details.
The Caribbean country is in the commonwealth so pretty much English law.1

I really think that you need to get advice from someone in the country where the property is located. They will know the law and practice.

Brendan

As above but your aim is to have the neighbouring property spruced up isn't it? Do the management company not have any such requirements in their agreement with owners? I'd be surprised if they didn't. So you should be checking that out and pushing the management company to enforce their own rules. When is the next AGM? Have you contacted other neighbours to see if collective pressure can be put on the management company?

If the property is gated and locked up, maybe the owners are deceased and still in the property.
Maybe it is the police you should call to have a look at the place.

Looking for some help.
I have come across a property in the Caribbean next door to my own in a gated community, it was getting run down and I wanted to touch base with the owners to get them to tidy it up bit.
I got in touch with the management company looking for the owners details, they came back telling me that it's company policy not to give out owners details, but did divulge that the owner was deceased and on inspection that the deeds in Land Registry still had them listed as the owners.
I argued that GDPR generally doesn't cover the deceased, but they were not moving on their position, on checking Land Registry the management company is the owner of record, I checked the Property Tax records and the last time property tax was paid it was paid by the management company. I have also asked the housing association but they don't have ownership details for the property.
The management company have said that they have passed my details onto the representatives of the deceased and let them know that I wish to touch base with them but I haven't heard anything in the past 6 months despite fortnightly emails. The sceptic in me thinks that the management company don't want the representatives to know about the property and they hope to acquire the property by way of a lien for unpaid management charges, also the representatives might have been aware of a property in the Caribbean but searches through Land Registry proved fruitless. So my question is can I bring any to bear on the management company so that they divulge the true owners details.
The Caribbean country is in the commonwealth so pretty much English law.1
GDPR is an EU law and has no standing in the Caribbean.

As above but your aim is to have the neighbouring property spruced up isn't it? Do the management company not have any such requirements in their agreement with owners? I'd be surprised if they didn't. So you should be checking that out and pushing the management company to enforce their own rules. When is the next AGM? Have you contacted other neighbours to see if collective pressure can be put on the management company?

What started as a quest to have the neighbouring property spruced up has turned into a quest to let the representatives of the deceased owners know that there is a property in the Caribbean that they should have ownership of, the stonewalling of the management company suggests that they have a vested interest in the representatives not knowing anything about it, I cannot get to the representatives without ascertaining the deceased name

the stonewalling of the management company suggests that they have a vested interest in the representatives not knowing anything about it,
If I were them I'd stonewall you too. The management of the deceased's estate is none of your business. Your fascination with it makes me wonder if you're after more than a spruce of of a neighbouring property that you just 'came across'.

Correct its called the Data Protection Act same principles apply
If the same principles apply then the agency would not be allowed to share details.

Will the management company not tidy the place up regardless of the ownership mystery you may or may not want to “put right” after the place is cleaned up?

They might tidy it if they think you will stop opening the other can of worms…if they are indeed up to no good.

You need to speak to a Caribbean lawyer. They'll tell you the applicable laws, and what you can / can't influence. It's that simple

Is there an equivalent to a land or property registry? If so, should be easy enough to find the registered owner.

The sceptic in me thinks that the management company don't want the representatives to know about the property and they hope to acquire the property by way of a lien for unpaid management charges, also the representatives might have been aware of a property in the Caribbean but searches through Land Registry proved fruitless.

Have you any evidence at all to back this up?

Would the deceased's nearest and dearest not likely know that they had a Carribean property and a good idea of where it's located?

What about the previous paper trail from the property purchase, payment of management fees, travel tickets, local financial transactions etc that would typically be present and accessible by legal representatives for the estate?

What started as a quest to have the neighbouring property spruced up has turned into a quest to let the representatives of the deceased owners know that there is a property in the Caribbean that they should have ownership of, the stonewalling of the management company suggests that they have a vested interest in the representatives not knowing anything about it, I cannot get to the representatives without ascertaining the deceased name

You have certainly convinced yourself with this conspiracy theory. Best of luck with the 'quest'

Back