total income of porter & nurse as per the sunday indo

Eh, no. I don't think I said it was a problem in Ireland. If I did convey this, sorry.

Demographic problems not only take decades to crystallise but can also be seen approaching decades in advance. So they can be evident without necessarily being pressing. I made my original comments in response to the assertion that it is not appropriate for a society to 'subsidise' children, to which I made the corollary point that it therefore follows that it is not appropriate to ask those children ( in the future) to subsidise today's taxpayers\tomorrow's pensioners. Of course, we in Ireland will continue to subsidise both children and pensioners-that is the way we do things; and we have enought children coming through to be able to continue this model for at least another generation; but we can already see countries where the changing demographic is a strong warning of choppy seas ahead. Italy and France come to mind.

This is a discussion forum. When you make sweeping statements and back them up with nothing but thin air you should not be surprised if people call you out on it.

Purple

I had already backed them up, citing the way they've been treated by the health service and greedy bankers after a lifetime of paying taxes and, in many cases, doing without to provide for young families. You came back and disagreed with this view (fair enough,you're entitled to your opinion and you dont need to go over this again). I didn't agree with your comeback and said we should agree to differ - as I felt the argument was becoming heated and a bit personal (also fair enough I think). Now END OF!

Many of these situations are printed in a much worse light than the actual situation.

In this situation, the gross salary of both (based on published figures) is almost €70k (not just over €60k). An average of €5k is earned by the porter in overtime / double time.

Pensions levy - this is taken from the gross. At €40800, the pension levy is €113 per 2 weeks (not €131) About €5000 of this salary is taxed at 40% this is now reduced by the gross amount of the pension levy, so in this case the net pension levy is €66.67 (€113 less 41%)

Waste charges - 20% tax can be reclaimed

Mortgage - probably down to €1000 at this stge, but they choose to pay additional amount. (wise) TRS on this assuming 4 years into first mortgage is about €160/month so net is at €840 now where 6 months ago it was about €1100.

Early childcare allowance - this was only introduced in 2006 in the good times. Whilst the 4 year old won't benefit from the year of montessori, the other 2 will.

So net changes over 3 months

Pluses - Mortgage reduction - €200 / month

Minuses - Pension levy €133 net, Income levy €60

Early childcare approx. €120.

Add in general price reductions across many things and this couple are at about the same level as they were last November. - Still no room for complacency, but nowheer near as bad as the article seems to suggest.

Purple

I had already backed them up, citing the way they've been treated by the health service and greedy bankers after a lifetime of paying taxes and, in many cases, doing without to provide for young families. You came back and disagreed with this view (fair enough,you're entitled to your opinion and you dont need to go over this again). I didn't agree with your comeback and said we should agree to differ - as I felt the argument was becoming heated and a bit personal (also fair enough I think). Now END OF!

I just don’t get your point when over the last few years pensions have increased massively, medical cards have been given to all over 70’s (even the rich ones) and general support services for the elderly have seem huge increases in funding. The fact is that the elderly have never been better treated by the state. To suggest otherwise is bizarre to say the least. How they are treated by their families is a different matter and not really something that the state can control.

Many of these situations are printed in a much worse light than the actual situation.

I'm at a loss to understand the couple's situation. They seem to have large salaries yet have no car, a modest house and no holidays or spare cash. What are we missing. Is it the fact that actually while the house is modest the mortgage is too large relative to salaries. The only other thing that costs a lot is childcare.

The only way to work it out would be to have their total incomes less their outgoings to make sense of this.

Back