topping up your boiler?

In the third picture, the pipe with the red valve on the left hand side, does that attach to the central heating loop (two pipes entering the cylinder one over the other feeding the internal coil - see diagram here)?

the primary circuit top up valve is normally near the boiler and has a pressure regulator to prevent over pressuring and pressure gauge with isolation valves from the mains water supply.
The valve in the 2and picture are the supply to bathroom toilet etc.
picture 1 the 2 small red valve are either side of the pressure regulator open these to increase the pressure in the system the pressure reg should restrict the pressure

Last edited:
Which ones do I mess with? Thanks. Also I can bleed rads. Hot press is upstairs and boiler is in the kitchen downstairs.
Any chance of a couple more photos from different angles? The first photo is probably the important one, but it's a little blurry and where some of those pipes disappear off to is hard to tell. Some photos around the boiler would also be helpful.

Hi- similar to above - low water pressure and I want to "repressurise the system". I have no experience with this before so a newbie. Some photos attached too.

We have a GlowWorm 15hx gas boiler. Water pressure at almost 0. Boiler was only serviced mid Sept..

Have tried to find the "value" to repressurise the system but to no avail. Any videos / websites I look up suggest it should be just there below the boiler. But its not. I even looked at the manual. On the offchance the valves were in the boiler, I opened it up but nothing in there either that were attached to the return and outflow pipes. I have since gone looking in the hotpress but can only see 2 turn circle shaped valves(if that is the correct term).

We have a closed F&E system. Boiler is in a shed. Hot press is upstairs. Feel stupid that i cant do it myself as its meant to be obvious and simple.

To put into context: we had Bord Gais do a service 14th Sept. Our bedroom rad was not working well. Two nights ago I tried to bled it but no water came out. Left the rad open for 30 mins. Still nothing. I didnt know at the time that I may have being causing a low pressure in the system by doing this. I just thought I was trying to let alot of air out.

The next day, no radiators working upstairs. Went out to boiler and saw the fault 22 (low pressure). Tried to reset but nothing. The next day no radiators working and that is when I saw the pressure guage at 0 bar.

I'm not an expert but feel like I have learnt so much in the past 2 days.

We have plugin oil rads for kids rooms to help for now. Appreciate any help as the evenings are getting colder.

Please nothing too technical. I am slowing understanding the basics

Attachments

• Gas Boiler photo.jpg
    Gas Boiler photo.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 151
  • valves.JPG
    valves.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 201
Very hard to tell from those photos I’m afraid. The valve isn’t going to be anything special looking, so the only way to find it is to try and trace the pipes in question. At some point along those pipes coming in/out of the boiler, you’ll find a connection from the incoming mains supply to the house, which is used to add pressure. Might be worth starting with this incoming supply and track it around the house, it’s usually quite a simple circuit and you might stumble upon where it is connected to the hot water pipes.

FWIW that unit where you turned the screw and water came out is the circulation pump.

Back