Tithes

Do you mean to religious institutions or charities? We generally try to contribute a specific amount to different charities (not religious institutions as we are atheists) each year and we were recently thinking of making it a fixed percentage of our annual income.

Always wondered about that. Is the tithe based on pre or post tax income

Murt

Dunno about the definition of tithe - I suspect it predated the universal income tax!

But don't forget, if you do plan on donating to (a qualifying) charity on a regular basis, then you can substantially increase the value of your donation by simply filling out a form which will allow the charity to reclaim the tax you've paid on the pre-tax value of your donation.

Your donation must be for a minimum of €250 and the charity must be approved by the Revenue for this purpose. Your €250 donation then becomes €250/ (1- 0.42) = €431 in the hands of your favourite cause. The big developing world charities, in particular, eg Concern, Oxfam etc, are well geared up for this and if you sign up for a direct debit will happily send you the filled out form which just requires your signature and PPS number to be entered and freeposted to the Revenue.

If you have a look at post no. 6 in this thread you'll see a link to the Revenue forms you'll need to allow the charity to claim tax relief on your donations.

Murt10 said:
Always wondered about that. Is the tithe based on pre or post tax income

I have had a lot of dealings with members of religous groups that believe in tithing and they always claim it is 10% of pre-tax income which should be donated

[email protected]

[ QUOTE]=Havsom Cents]Does anybody here tithe?:)[/QUOTE] Just as a testimony.I used to spend about 30-40% of my income on beer and cigarettes.Then I found This post will be deleted if not edited immediately.My life changed.Dont need those things now.So now I give 10% of my gross income to the church.Thats my testimony.Not a sermon........just my testimony.:D

wikipedia definition of tithe.

It is interesting to note that in Ireland [broken link removed] tithes have a very negative connotation as they were imposed rather than voluntary.

from ancestry.com
Tithe Records of Ireland
– Sherry Irvine, CGRS, FSA (Scot) Tithes (meaning a tenth) are levies collected in support of a church, which could be a single church or all churches of one faith. In Ireland from the 1500s to the 1800s, tithes were taxes on the agricultural system to support the Church of Ireland. Tithes made everyone cross, for many reasons. Those who were Catholic or Presbyterian resented the contribution to the established church. Land proprietors resented the impact of tithes on rents.

Tithes existed in Ireland as long ago as the 1100s, giving support to monasteries. The system that came to be resented so much was formalized in law in 1541. In 1736 legislation exempted pasture from the calculation so the burden fell upon farmers who cultivated the soil. Not all tithes went to the Church of Ireland; in 1832 a little over 15% went to “lay” (non-religious) tithe owners who acquired the right to collect tithes at the dissolution of the monasteries.

By the early 1800s resentment had become very serious. Tithes had been part of the cause of rural unrest in the late 1700s; in the 1830s, the disruptions came to be called the Tithe War. The campaign against tithes began in County Kilkenny and spread quickly to other counties. By 1833, more than half the tithes due in 22 counties had not been paid. Many landowners supported non-payment because legislation of 1823 restored pastureland to the calculation. The resistance became violent, and some deaths occurred among protestors and police.

Faced with an impossible situation, the authorities stopped trying to enforce payment and clergymen without income could apply for relief. In 1838 the tithe ceased to be paid by occupiers and landlords were levied a “rent charge.” The problem completely disappeared at the disestablishment of the Church of Ireland (1869).

ajapale

;) All very well with that history lesson.Which was possibly quite true in those historical circumstances.However ,my tithe/tenth is totally voluntarily.............and only the Good Lord moniters my contribution.Not man,who we know does'nt show his best side at times,especially where finance is concerned.

Back