TICN (The Investment Club Network)

Re: Ticn

I just went onto the performance of the top 50 clubs page on the TICN website, updated as of 21st of December 2006.

They name Blackwater Traders Investment Club as the top club, having achieved a 134% return.

I can gaurantee this is false, since I'm a member of that club and our returns are nowhere near that. In fact, most of the data on our club is inaccurate.

Either they have our club mixed up with another one, they were misinformed about our results or they're just plain lying. In any case I feel it's worth mentioning.

I've e-mailed their support and I will post their response when I get it.

I just got a reply to my e-mail.

This is the message I sent:

"I was looking at the performance of the top 50 clubs. I noticed that Blackwater traders was listed top with a 134% return. Being a member of Blackwater traders, I found it unusual since our returns are nowhere near the figures quoted and the majority of your data is inaccurate.

Could you please let me know how you get your information and why there is such a large difference between our true results and the ones quoted? "

Their reply was:

"The data was coming from Trackdata but was not allowing for the bulk dollar system.
You may have noticed we have taken the figures off the website until we can get more reliable data."

Stock Market is very based on market sentiment - if a company is posting great profits and has great management may not mean that the stock is worth a buy due to negative market sentiment
From a value investing point of view this is wrong. Read chapter 8 of the Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham, the parable of Mr. Market is fantastic. If there is a negative market sentiment about a strong company, making the price very undervalued, then that would be the ideal time to buy. Eventually, provided the company has continued success, the market will correct to a fair value. At least that’s the theory anyway.
I just found an online article written by Buffet that went through Ben's Mr Market parable. I hope a few people will get something out of it.

I thought I would add some input here...

I have done the TICN course about 1.5 years ago now and I firmly believe and still do that any education in this area is a good thing!

So how did I get on after the course - well for the 1st 6 months I did very well - made about 25% ROI.

The next 6 months (from July '06 to the end of the year) no so well. Now I seem to be making back my initial 25% again.

The important thing I learned were the following...

After all the investment courses, reading books you have to dive in and learn as the market devlops...One thing for sure what the market has done in the past 2 years does not mean that the market(or any one stock) is going to do that again. This is what technical charting on its own tries to do....You have to do your homework - fundamental analysis (risk to reward, future projections...)

You only make money when you sell. Dont fool yourself into thinking that you are up 25% but have not sold your positions. The market can change on a dime....

If you do your fundamental analysis then the rewards can be quite good. For example at the start of this year a lot of analysts were predicting that OIL was going to below $50 a barrel yet if you did your homework the fundamentals have not changed and it is why OIL is now at $62 and I believe will at least go to $70 by the summer....OIL stocks and alternative energy look good right now but it is important to understand why. Similarly for other industries...

One needs to understand what the FED is doing and how it affects the markets also things like CPI(Consumer Price Index), housing data(if people are having difficulty holding onto there houses they are not going to have money for buying consumer items!) as well as other indices etc . etc...

Using the Stochastic signals and bolinger bands is a good technical tool to use after doing your fundamental analysis to know when to buy then to sell and then to buy again (i.e the magic of compound interest).

Dont underestimate the power of compound interest. Alot of people who look at the stock market look for a single stock that they want to go from 0-1000% in one year! The odds of this happening are quite remote. Better method I believe is to move your money around (buy and sell stock) using compound interest.

One other thing is that TICN frowns on buying on margin but if you do your fundamental analysis and understand what you are doing then it can make sense to buy on margin to make good money- I have done this many times and it can be very rewarding.

TICN purport to sell covered calls - I got burnt on this many times. If the stock is going to go negative better to sell the stock than playing with covered calls.....I would not advise to the novice to market OPTIONs wether Calls or puts!

Hopefully this advice might be useful to someone!

hay i want to thank every one who posted there is a fantastic amount of information here.

Just an update since my post since March. Based on my advice given since March I have been able to DOUBLE my money since then!!!

Im not bragging here but I think the advice above although may seem elementary seems to work for me and may work for others

To summarise - compound interest is very powerful and understanding the market and realising it is bullish one can make the decision to buy on Margin!

I invested in theS&P500, Dow, Tech, Big Oil, and alternative energy stocks!

Looks like Tech and Big Oil might be good for another month or too.

Looks like Fed will not cut interest Rate but I think that is a good thing since I believe there needs to be a cooling off period....

Back