Thoughts on paying Class 3 voluntary NICs (UK State Pension)

AlanMacI

I'm currently in the process of paying voluntary NICs to boost my entitlement to a UK State pension in the future. I have 9 qualifying years, have paid for 5 historic Class 2 years and have been given the option to pay future Class 2 payments - which I intend to do for the next 17 years. This would put me at 31 qualifying years at retirement. I also have 4 historic years that they've given me the option to pay at Class 3 - this would cost £3090 (versus the £741 I paid for my 5 historic Class 2 years) but would give me 35 qualifying years.

Now I understand that each full qualifying year adds about £275 to my pre-tax pension - so in my case an outlay now of £3090 on the more expensive Class 3 years would pay me an extra £1100 per year at retirement i.e. it would pay for itself in 3 years. Which would seem to be about 10 times the return on what I put into my PRSA.

But in reading back on historic posts here I see a few people saying they'll pay the cheaper Class 2 years and not bother with the Class 3 years. Assuming they have they money available and can't make up the years otherwise is there a reason for this? I guess my fear is that with the impending UK pensions crisis the rules for people in my situation may be changed and any investment on my end up lost?

Last edited:
Now I understand that each full qualifying year adds about £275 to my pre-tax pension - so in my case an outlay now of £3090 on the more expensive Class 3 years would pay me an extra £1100 per year at retirement i.e. it would pay for itself in 3 years. Which would seem to be about 10 times the return on what I put into my PRSA.
You're right. Even Class 3 contributions pay for themselves very quickly.

I pay Class 3 contributions and there is no other investment I can make with this kind of expected return.

But in reading back on historic posts here I see a few people saying they'll pay the cheaper Class 2 years and not bother with the Class 3 years. Assuming they have they money available and can't make up the years otherwise is there a reason for this? I guess my fear is that with the impending UK pensions crisis the rules for people in my situation may be changed and any investment on my end lost?
I think it's still a no-brainer even with Class 3 contributions under the current rules. As you say though, the rules may change in future and there have been quite a few changes in recent decades. Hard to know what's best when you're still a long way out from retirement.

Back