Thom McGinty - the Diceman

podgerodge

Alan Stanford in todays Independent suggests that a statue of Thom McGinty in Grafton Street would be appropriate - a great idea. I'm sure anyone who remembers the Diceman walking up Grafton Street at a half mile per hour would agree.

In Tralee there is a plack on the footpath (Corner of Denny and Castle) dedicated to the The Diceman. I think a statue on Grafton St would be an excellent idea. But what would we do if the statue started to move!?

Not a bad idea at all. So many statues etc. seem to be only of more high profile "worthy" persons such as great political leaders, renowned poets etc. it would be nice to see something which is simply honouring a great character in the area he enriched.

Isn't there a campaign to put one of Phil Lynott there too though, won't be able to move for statues soon. :)

(Edit: Coincidentially I just found out the Phil Lynott one is off Grafton Street and is being unveiled today, I wonder is this what inspired Alan Stanford's piece)

Last edited:
dam099 said:
So many statues etc. seem to be only of more high profile "worthy" persons such as great political leaders, renowned poets etc.
Yeah - what did the great political leaders and reknowned poets ever do for us, eh?

ClubMan said:
Yeah - what did the great political leaders and reknowned poets ever do for us, eh?

Not saying some/most of them don't deserve them it just seems sometimes we overlook other people who would too.

I remember him drinking heavily and alone in my local while close to death with AIDS related complications. It was terribly sad and all the more so because at the same time people were packing the place and celebtrating Ireland's progress in World Cup 1994 while he just sat in the corner. It was a somewhat jarring experience to observe this juxtaposition of celebration and demise. :(

"A stateman is a dead politician. We need more statesmen." - Bob Edwards

Is this all the support that can be drummed up for such a character - shameful!

Count me In. I'm a big fan of characters getting statues rather than keeping them all for Statesmen. I Like Joyce wearing his shoes on the wrong feet.
The only momument to a Politician that I really like is the Wellington monument in the Phoenix Park. The idea of building a huge monument to someone who was ashamed of his city is brilliant.

It occurs to me that there is a status of sorts on Grafton St. To the Dice Man almost every Saturday. He pretty much created the space for some of the performers who do their Statue act on Grafton St at the moment. Something more permanent and direct would be good though.

As for whether there would be room on the Streets of Dublin for all of it's past characters. Wasn't it Behan and Kavanagh that stood at the top of Grafton St. lamenting that there were no characters left in Dublin anymore?

The Phil Lynott status was apparently paid for by his fans. I presume there is some sort of permission required to erect it. At least with the Phil Lynott statue there's a precedent set. It shouldn't be too hard to apply the same methods to get a Dice Man statue made and erected.

-Rd

Back