Thistles - seeding from adjoining site

T

Trixie

Anyone know who you contact about these - it's an undeveloped site next door, the thistles are seeding and the buggers are floating into all our gardens. It looks like a snow storm. Someone told me they were defined as "noxious weeds" and I should report them for removal - but to who? I've checked the oasis gov. site but didn't find a Dept for the Removal of Noxious Weeds to my surprise!!

The Dept for the Removal of Noxious Weeds

I believe they only operate around local election times... :lol

No, but seriously — I don't know that you'll get very far on that count through any public office. I had a similar problem a few years ago and the local Council more or less laughed in my face (as did the builder who was "sitting" on the site waiting for a right of way to elapse...) Maybe a letter to the site owner, first requesting some cooperation in a spirit of good-neighbourliness, and then threatening a small claims court action if such is not forthcoming?

Failing that, do you know any obliging goatherds?

Thistles

Although you may blame the adjoining site for your thistle problem ... thistle seeds can travel up to half a mile in the wind. If you succeed in eliminating those thistles where do you stop ... ?

thistles

I'm attributing next door site due to fact that everywhere else is developed (a dublin suburb) and also due to sight of large batch of thistles 6 foot high x about 12 foot long which runs along side of my garden wall - me being last house in row. The problem is not the odd thistle seed floating around - I could live with that - it's the snow storm effect I can't live with. I'm not exaggerating.

Re: thistles

Do you know the owner of the site. Have you spoken to them? You can get spray to kill the thistles which is pretty cheap and very effective but obviously now they are in seed, it's a wee bit late.

NOXIOUS WEEDS (THISTLE, RAGWORT, AND DOCK) ORDER, 1937.

The noxious weeds act 1936 and the noxious weeds order 1937 might be of interest.

WHEREAS it is enacted by sub-section (1) of Section 2 of the Noxious Weeds Act, 1936 (No. 38 of 1936), that whenever the Minister for Agriculture is satisfied that plants of any particular species or variety growing, or in the opinion of the said Minister likely to become established, in any area are in that area noxious weeds, the said Minister may make an order declaring such plants to be noxious weeds in that area as specified in such order, and it is enacted by sub-section (2) of the said Section 2 that the area specified in any order made under the said Section 2 may comprise the whole or any part of Saorstát Eireann and may be one continuous area or two or more separate non-contiguous areas :

AND WHEREAS the Minister for Agriculture is satisfied that thistle, ragwort and dock (being plants growing in Saorstát Eireann) are in Saorstát Eireann noxious weeds :

NOW, THEREFORE, I, SÉAMAS O RIAIN, Minister for Agriculture, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by Section 2 of the Noxious Weeds Act, 1936 (No. 38 of 1936), and of every and any other power me in this behalf enabling, do hereby order as follows, that is to say :—

1. (1) This Order may be cited as the Noxious Weeds (Thistle, Ragwort, and Dock) Order, 1937.

(2) This Order shall come into operation on the First day of June, 1937.

2. The Interpretation Act, 1923 (No. 46 of 1923) applies to the interpretation of this Order in like manner as it applies to the interpretation of an Act of the Oireachtas.

3. The following plants, namely, thistle, ragwort, and dock, shall be noxious weeds in Saorstát Eireann.

Given under my Seal of Office, this 7th day of May, 1937.

(Signed) SÉAMAS O RIAIN,

Minister for Agriculture.

also from an oireachtas debate in 2000 it appears that it is the Minister for Agriculture who is responsible for enforcement.

[broken link removed]

Mr. Glynn: ......
On a previous occasion I called for a debate on the implementation of the Noxious Weeds Act. [111] Will the Leader invite the Minister for Agriculture, Food and Rural Development to come before the House to debate the application and enforcement of the Act? There was a time when the Act was rigidly enforced but it appears to have fallen by the wayside. Some farmers are good at cutting back noxious weeds and there is no need to remind them of the dangers of ragwort.

ajapale

Goats. Nanny-Goats and Billy-Goats.

animals on estates

-------------
Nanny-Goats and Billy-Goats
-------------

holy god.

some dublin estates have problems with dogs.
some dublin estates have problems with horses.

now we're suggesting we should add goats to the mix?

and breeding pairs too! :rolleyes

Back