Thinking of new car

Gabriel

I currently own a 1.6 '03 Nissan Primera...It's a great car, but for various reasons (fuel consumption, lack of power, big car handling) I've decided to sell it privately and buy something else.

A friend of mine this did recently and it got me thinking.

I hope to get somewhere between €14000 to €15000 for it with a bit of luck.

I'm looking at trading down, sick of big car loans. I'm looking for something with some style, that's quick with a decent bit of poke and handles well.

Was thinking an older BMW 316i (circa 96-99...the compact, or perhaps not!). Bit of a ladies car :)
Ideally I don't want to pay more than €9-10000. The price difference will hopefully pay off a couple of outstanding loans I have...

My problem is...as with all older cars...how the hell do you find a good one!!??
Many of the models I've seen on autotrader have 100000km plus on the clock. Is this obscene...BMW engines are pretty reliable but it seems like a lot!
All advice on this model appreciated. I know a bit about cars in general, and what's good and whats not and what I like etc...but buying second hand, probably privately is always a nightmare.

BMW's are a bit overpriced imho. 316i won't be any cheaper to run than your Nissan and won't be appreciably quicker either.

Have a look at www.buyandsell.ie or www.cbg.ie

An early Audi A3 might fit the bill? The diesels are the best ones. A Golf is cheaper again and much the same car underneath the skin.

A BMW 316 will likey use more fuel than your curent Primera, so no saving there, it will cost more to service and almost certainly be less relaible, BMW engines are no more reliable than average. By the way a 316i has a 1.8 or 1.9 litre engine depending on exact date of manufacture and is dog slow! Certainly no "poke".

My Mrs has a 1.25 Zetec Fiesta - puts the P is Poke for sure and doesn't cost the earth.

That 1.25 16v engine is great.

Loves revs, and is smooth and sweet.

Yamaha are involved in it's build.

BMW's are a bit overpriced imho. 316i won't be any cheaper to run than your Nissan and won't be appreciably quicker either.

Thanks RS2K. You're probably right...they are pricey alright. Actually I fear I may have gone of the old BMW idea...due to servicing costs etc...

The older A3 is nothing special really. Doesn't get great reviews either. Although I have looked at them alright. They're also awfully pricey.
The Golf is just too boring. I've seen so many of them I'm sick of them. They're nice...but I don't know if I could do it. The 1.6 doesn't have that much poke either...which is unusual for a small car. Maybe the diesel is better.

My original idea was get rid of very large family car (and the Primera is VERY large) and get something that holds the road better...more torque etc...without looking like I'm driving an Impreza with spoilers, under-lighting and all other ridiculous paraphinalia to make me look like a complete chav ;)

So, I'm left, in my mind anyway, with two choices -
A Focus or a Mondeo!!

I know the Mondeo is a family car, but the TDCI 2.0 Zetec gets such great reviews! And I could pick up a '01 model for about 10k

Anyone recommend anything else? I'm sorry, but the Fiesta is not something I'd be interested in at all. I want to size down a little...but not that much.
Which is the best Focus...the 1.9 diesel?

1.6 TDCI is the best current Focus engine. They are rare though 2nd hand. They did a 1.8 diesel in earlier cars which is noisy and not recommended. 1.6 petrol is fine too. 1.4 is flat.

Zetec spec. is essential imho. Air con + sports suspension & seats.

If you don't need a Mondeo sized car (a bit bigger than a Primera I think) the Focus is an excellent choice.

RS2K said:
1.6 TDCI is the best current Focus engine. They are rare though 2nd hand. They did a 1.8 diesel in earlier cars which is noisy and not recommended. 1.6 petrol is fine too. 1.4 is flat.

If you don't need a Mondeo sized car (a bit bigger than a Primera I think) the Focus is an excellent choice.

The Focus is a great car IMO, 120k miles on mine and its running fine. Its a 1.4, its not exactly nippy though.

Thanks guys. I think ultimately it'll come down to those two cars alright [Mondeo or Focus].

I'll have a look around, see if I can sell my own first and then perhaps come back to pick more brains...especially yours RS2K.

Thanks

RS2K said:

I just want to clarify a few things as I've been doing my research and I'm torn between the Mondeo and the Focus right now.

It seems Ford put the Durateq common-rail into their focus in 2001. Am I right in saying that?
Also, you were saying the Zetec is always the better spec. Does the 5-door either 1.8TCDI or 1.6 petrol come in Zetec spec?

I've got my car up for sale now but in general I'm actually finding it quite difficult to track down what I want. Either a 1.8TDCI second hand Focus (black or dark grey) or a 2.0 TDCI Zetec 115BHP Mondeo (again, Black or dark grey). There doesn't appear to be many out there. The ones I've found have had high mileage or were too expensive bar a couple.

I've looked at the Ebay route and there appears to be a few models of interest in the UK alright but I'm a bit wary of buying a car on Ebay. If anyone has any experience and advice on this I'd appreciate it.

"Focii diesel" are rare enough. The 1.8 TDCI was good and the new 1.6 TDCI (introduced in the C-Max in 2004 and the Focus Mk2 in 2005) is better again.

There should be quite a few Mondeo's about surely?

Don't worry about Dealer prices. Turn up, go over the vehicle like a mad thing, and then armed with cash, offer a reasonable price.

A pal bought an 04 Mondeo TDCI recently and got over €2000 off the advertised price. Car had 10k miles on the clock. Nice.

Is a C-Max any good for you?

If so have a look at:-

[broken link removed]

RS2K said:
"Focii diesel" are rare enough. The 1.8 TDCI was good and the new 1.6 TDCI (introduced in the C-Max in 2004 and the Focus Mk2 in 2005) is better again.

There should be quite a few Mondeo's about surely?

Yeah...there's one or two Mondeo's around alright...but most have quite high mileage. I'll keep my eyes open though. I still have to sell my existing car first. Lots and lots of 1.8 LX's but the 2.0 Diesel Zetec is rare enough.

Thanks for the advice re the Mondeo pricing. I know depreciation is steep on them anyway so it makes sense that you can knock more than the usual off for cash.

A C-Max doesn't appeal I'm afraid. Too tall for one thing. Would rather go the ordinary Focus route to be honest.

I'd be interested on getting people's opinions on this actually. I'm trying to sell my car right now and am saying €15000 ono. Does that sound reasonable? I figured I could drop the price a little over time if there wasn't any interest.
There's 48500 on the clock.

I've advertsied in a few places...but what's the story with BUYANDSELL. I put my ad up about three days ago and received an update this morning saying my ad would be live from the 24th of September for one week!!!!! So I only have to wait two weeks for anyone to see the ad. Jeeze...I know it's free and all but seriously, that sucks!!

pay the B&S €25 and get it in the paper 3 times per week for 4 weeks, instantly.

I have it in the BuyandSell...albeit I dropped the price so it won't appear until tuesday next (it's quite slow if you make any changes). I also have it VERY keeny priced on CBG (with pics).

It's a 03 model (Silver) with 48500 on the clock and I'm only looking for around the 14k mark. Am I overpricing myself?

There are a lot of Primeras available at the moment. If you look on www.carzone.ie you will notice that there are a lot available for the 15k & early 15k price.

Remember you are selling to the cash customer. This type of customer can go to the garages and look for sizeable discounts and still drive away with a warranty.

I would leave it at say 13,950 just to get it on the 13k internet searches and write o.n.o. on it to signify that you will budge somewhat on price. Then when they arrive to see the car you can use your charm to ensure they drive away in it!

Also, is the timing belt due on it? This can be an expensive job and turns a lot of people away, especially when they see nearly 50k on the clock and assume it will have to be done soon. So if it is already done make sure you mention it in the ad.

Thanks Bonafide. Not sure actually if the timing belt is done. I bought it from a main dealer in March. It's still under warranty from Nissan until next year mind you.

Nissan changed the model in 03...made it a lot better to drive. I've seen a fair few 02 models around the 14-15k marerker alright. I'm advertised on CBG at 13900 ono. Haven't had one phone call mind you...and it is a really good car. I'm only getting rid of it cos I want something with more poke.

Nissan Primeras have timing chains, not timing belts, so replacement is not thankfully an issue.

Back