The screw is being turned on the DUP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Purple like the UK will be just fine in their splendid isolation!
I don't think my position makes me an outlier. Those who don't buy the Tory line that this is all Leo's fault aren't all part of a Catholic Nationalist cabal.

I don't think my position makes me an outlier. Those who don't buy the Tory line that this is all Leo's fault aren't all part of a Catholic Nationalist cabal.

You mean you don't meet up in smokey rooms with your secret handshakes and saying the rosery while ploting plans to screw the Unionists??? That's a bit disappointing. Like discovering there aren't really bankers from the city of London doing the same thing to plot against Jeremy Corbyn....

Purple I have followed the likes of Eoghan Harris and Dan O'Brien in referring to the pan nationalist consensus. It is quite an accurate description IMHO and really not seen since the days of the Falklands War.
One might refer to the pan scientific consensus on climate change. Doesn't mean that one believes that all scientists are doomsayers and nor does it mean that non scientists do not share this consensus.
I apologise if you interpreted my use of the term as implying that you too had gone down the pan. I commend your brave action in coming out and admitting that you are neither nationalist nor catholic.

Purple I have followed the likes of Eoghan Harris and Dan O'Brien in referring to the pan nationalist consensus. It is quite an accurate description IMHO and really not seen since the days of the Falklands War.
One might refer to the pan scientific consensus on climate change. Doesn't mean that one believes that all scientists are doomsayers and nor does it mean that non scientists do not share this consensus.
I apologise if you interpreted my use of the term as implying that you too had gone down the pan. I commend your brave action in coming out and admitting that you are neither nationalist nor catholic.

Don't start getting all reasonable. This is a discussion about Northern Ireland and Brexit. Reasonable, rational and respectful discussion has no place here...…. So basically you were saying Purple was a member of the IRA and/or a Catholic Priest and along with Leo and Simon hated the Unionist community in the North???

Dan o Brien is an excellent numbers man, he is all about the data, I like him, however when it comes to the long standing political nuances of the irish border, he is tone deaf, he likes to utter aloof disapproval of tribalist tendencies.

Harris is a narcissistic loon bag who views everything through the prism of his hatred for SF

SF feature in every single column he writes, even if it's about the rose of tralee

Last edited:
Don't start getting all reasonable. This is a discussion about Northern Ireland and Brexit. Reasonable, rational and respectful discussion has no place here...…. So basically you were saying Purple was a member of the IRA and/or a Catholic Priest and along with Leo and Simon hated the Unionist community in the North???
Yes he seems to have interpreted it that way. I hope he accepts my apology.

Yes he seems to have interpreted it that way. I hope he accepts my apology.
I'll say a decade of the Rosary for you, but you'll still burn in hell. I'll see you there.

(on a side note is it just me or for a chap who supposedly created everything does God seem to have really low self esteem, what with the believe in me or I'll burn you forever stuff?)

Edit; Oh, and this is just the internet. Nothing said here it to be taken personally.

I have followed the likes of Eoghan Harris

Why?
I decided to check out his Wiki page to remind myself of his irrelevance.

A member of Official SF in the 1970's that moved to Marxism at the very time that the national question would engulf politics once again.

When Official SF became sidelined it became the Workers Party, itself destined to extinction. He would abandon the Workers Party and Marxism in support of social democracy. The Democratic Left emerged and this party would eventually demise and be subsumed into the Labour party.

He worked with Mary McAleese in RTE and would deride her candidacy for President, only to regret his views about her.

He was a prominent critic of John Hume who would subsequently be honoured the Nobel Peace prize and is broadly considered one of Ireland's greatest statesmen and a prominent architect of the GFA which Harris would subsequently support.

An unrepentant supporter of the US 2003 invasion of Iraq. He derided the work of renowned journalist Robert Fisk.

With a total abandonment of his Marxist views he embraced full-on neo-liberal economics of the FF and PDs and remained a steadfast Bertie supporter right up to those economic policies would crash the economy.

Today, his weekly column reads as a bitter chip on both shoulders against SF.

He has taken the side of ditching the backstop and blaming Varadaker for the current impasse.
Going by his track record, I wouldn't put too much weight on his views.

Key meeting between Boris and Angela today. I think it will be clear what kind of Brexit we can expect this evening...

Interesting that it's coming out that the UK position is that Ireland should remain aligned to UK standards and diverge from EU - that's their solution. You'd think that might need a referendum

But it's the backstop that's "undemocratic"

Someone recently told me that if I want a true picture of Brexit on the ground from a UK point of view, I should look at the comments on any Brexit Story on the Daily Mail Online. It would make you fear for the UK if the comments weren't so funny.... People actually believe that they can walk away from the EU, not pay their obligations and not need a trade agreement with the EU because the rest of the world will trade with them...Britain will be great again.....

Me neither. I think both will stick to their guns. Could be the point of no return though..
Well way back in 1968, The applicant countries wanting to join the then E.E.C. namely U.K. and Ireland had to partake in hard negotiations with the Commission as then structured. This meant putting the respective criteria, or terms and conditions to the applicants in order to join, and if successful would have abide by them. There was one significant French political figure, Charles de Gaulle, who vetoed the U.K. application, thus ending the process. As Ireland's application was running in Tandem, our plan to join ended as well, although whether Ireland was asked to withdraw it's application, or volunteered to do so I do not know. Ireland's trade was mainly with the U.K. at the time. One of De Gaulle's reasons for vetoing, was the U.K.'s economic model did not fit in with the European one. If there were De Gaulle type political figures who kept vetoing these applications, and kept the U.K. & Ireland out of E.E.C. membership, perhaps No Brexit at all! Remember Eamon De Valera was not very enthusiastic about this process. At this period as well, Left wing parties were also not very keen to join the E.E.C., this came out in the referendum of 1972 (Proposed 3rd amendment to the constitution bill) in their Literature. The main political parties (F.F. & F.G.) were very keen to enlist in the project.

Well way back in 1968, The applicant countries wanting to join the then E.E.C. namely U.K. and Ireland had to partake in hard negotiations with the Commission as then structured. This meant putting the respective criteria, or terms and conditions to the applicants in order to join, and if successful would have abide by them. There was one significant French political figure, Charles de Gaulle, who vetoed the U.K. application, thus ending the process. As Ireland's application was running in Tandem, our plan to join ended as well, although whether Ireland was asked to withdraw it's application, or volunteered to do so I do not know. Ireland's trade was mainly with the U.K. at the time. One of De Gaulle's reasons for vetoing, was the U.K.'s economic model did not fit in with the European one. If there were De Gaulle type political figures who kept vetoing these applications, and kept the U.K. & Ireland out of E.E.C. membership, perhaps No Brexit at all! Remember Eamon De Valera was not very enthusiastic about this process. At this period as well, Left wing parties were also not very keen to join the E.E.C., this came out in the referendum of 1972 (Proposed 3rd amendment to the constitution bill) in their Literature. The main political parties (F.F. & F.G.) were very keen to enlist in the project.
Imagine what an utter basketcase of an economy we'd be now if we hadn't joined.

Imagine what an utter basketcase of an economy we'd be now if we hadn't joined.
Though maybe we would have enough houses to go around. The population has increased from 3m to 5m during our membership of the EEC/EU, largely driven by EU immigration and reverse Irish emigration. This is squeezing our young people out of the housing market, producing sky high rents and of course a homelessness crisis.
Maybe we could do with a Brexit cold shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back