The same storm... but not the same boat

I know it's very unpopular to say so but I like and admire Bono and the fantastic work he's done.

He is a brilliant showman with a good head for publicity, business and tax efficiency. He has parleyed that plus a fairly mediocre singing ability into a huge commercial success. In that sense I respect him.
He's also a monumental pain in the rear end.

plus a fairly mediocre singing ability
Wow, begrudgery at it's best.

I like much of U2's music, particularly lyrically. I also greatly admire the work that Bono has done on debt and AIDS in Africa. The tens of Millions of lives saved by George W Bush, at the behest of Bono, are probably his greatest achievement.

He is a brilliant showman with a good head for publicity, business and tax efficiency. He has parleyed that plus a fairly mediocre singing ability into a huge commercial success. In that sense I respect him.
He's also a monumental pain in the rear end.

You can say many things about Bono but mediocre singer is a bit harsh. If you watch any live performances he is always in tune and has quite a good range. He also has a unique tone/timbre to his voice.

I agree with Baby Boomer, I do not think he is a good singer at all but he is a good performer .
He should stick to singing , as bad as it is, and keep his nose out of world affairs.
Sir Bob Geldof did a very good job with Live Aid and helping with the African famine .
He was not a good singer either , in my opinion, but was also a great performer.

I agree with Baby Boomer, I do not think he is a good singer at all but he is a good performer .
He should stick to singing , as bad as it is, and keep his nose out of world affairs.
Sir Bob Geldof did a very good job with Live Aid and helping with the African famine .
He was not a good singer either , in my opinion, but was also a great performer.
Bono has done far more for the developing world than Geldof. He was the main driver in convincing GW Bush to engage in AIDS relief in Africa, something that has saved millions of lives. Both he and Geldof know their onions when it comes to the economics of global trade as well. Like them or not they have dedicated a good chunk of their lives to trying to do good for no personal gain.

Bono has done far more for the developing world than Geldof. He was the main driver in convincing GW Bush to engage in AIDS relief in Africa, something that has saved millions of lives. Both he and Geldof know their onions when it comes to the economics of global trade as well. Like them or not they have dedicated a good chunk of their lives to trying to do good for no personal gain.

Plus he stopped clapping his hands. The lives that that saved cannot be counted.

I think he's successful because he and the rest of U2 are amongst the best at what they do in the world and have been for decades.

Obviously, but what exactly is it that they do. There are better musicians, song writers and singers out there, what they do is something different, the music is only a medium for the thing they are best at. (thanks for rising to this by the way :))

I do not agree with you Purple. I think their music is good but he is a very poor singer, that is my opinion of course, but that never stopped people been successful in the past and I am sure will not stop people in the future.
I respect everyone"s point of view of course..... and yours , of course.

Back