The safety of the new vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if I get vaccinated and the person sitting beside me in the pub/restaurant/plane has not been vaccinated, there is a chance I could still pick it up?

Yes there is a 0-10 percent chance of still getting illness depending on the vaccine.
And probably a similar or higher chance of being infected without illness but be contagious to others.

So, if I get vaccinated and the person sitting beside me in the pub/restaurant/plane has not been vaccinated, there is a chance I could still pick it up?

The HSE has published information on COVID-19 vaccine.

“Protection from COVID-19

After having both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, most people will be protected against the virus.

There is a small chance you might still get COVID-19 even if you have the vaccine. Even if you do get COVID-19, the vaccine can reduce the seriousness of your symptoms.

We do not know yet if having the vaccine stops you from spreading COVID-19 to other people.

The HSE, Department of Health and the World Health Organization recommends people get the COVID-19 vaccine when it is offered to them.

Even after you get the vaccine, continue to follow public health advice on how to stop the spread of the virus. For example, social distancing, wearing a face covering and washing your hands properly and often.”

Yes there is a 0-10 percent chance of still getting illness depending on the vaccine.
And probably a similar or higher chance of being infected without illness but be contagious to others.
The vaccine doesn't kill the virus, your immune system does that but the vaccine instructs your immune T cells what to look for, as the virus was unrecognisable by your immune system.
Obviously there are going to be exceptional circumstances, nobody has all the information on how the virus actually behaves in every individual and only time will clear these issues up, or create new issues.
So,if you have been properly vaccinated the virus can't make you sick.
For every 100 people vaccinated 90 min will/should develop an immune response that kills the virus.

I see the Oxford vaccine now approved by the UK authorities. There have been indications that the european regulators have been looking for more information. That being so they should account for the new information they get very quickly and not resort to the usual bureaucratic foot dragging. Once the scientists are happy the bureaucrats need to get on with it. Even the regulation of the pFizer vaccine was unnecessarily held up by at least a week by foot dragging. The politicians knew weeks beforehand that it would be authorised

If 4 people died in Galway nursing home yesterday I would presume they died after getting first Jab ,how many more are like this? A healthcare worker I know thinks we shouldn't be giving it to over 90 s as "a lot are not around for second one ".

If 4 people died in Galway nursing home yesterday I would presume they died after getting first Jab ,how many more are like this? A healthcare worker I know thinks we shouldn't be giving it to over 90 s as "a lot are not around for second one ".

There was an incident in norway where 20 nursing home residents died soon after receiving the vaccine.
The strain the vaccine places on the system could have been a factor.
I think guidelines have been revised to take into account how far someone is on the 'frailty' scale now.
So not just that they are over 90, but how frail they are.

There was an incident in norway where 20 nursing home residents died soon after receiving the vaccine.
The strain the vaccine places on the system could have been a factor.
I think guidelines have been revised to take into account how far someone is on the 'frailty' scale now.
So not just that they are over 90, but how frail they are.
I thought after a investigation it was found that they couldn't link the vaccine to those deaths.
Anyway my mother in law (92) got hers last week and only complained of a bit of soreness in the arm.
As you said frailty is an issue the vaccine will "kick start" the immune system and frail people by definition will not have robust immune systems

If 4 people died in Galway nursing home yesterday I would presume they died after getting first Jab
To aid discussion with facts, only 3 of the 4 residents who died yesterday had received the first dose of vaccine.
The nursing home in question had a resident test positive for the virus the week before they started administering the vaccine.
50% of their staff have tested positive at this stage.

It looks like the Astrazeneca vaccine reduces transmission by 67% . This is a remarkable result and if the other vaccines were anywhere close we might get out of this a little bit earlier.

The study hasn't been peer reviewed yet.

Yes encouraging study on the Oxford \ AZ vaccine reducing transmission - note the study hasn't completed peer review yet:
A single dose of the Astrazeneca vaccine may reduce transmission of coronavirus by two thirds, according to a new study which provides a major boost to the UK’s recommendation that the second jab should be delayed for up to 12 weeks. Researchers said that the first dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab offers protection of 76% up to three months and may reduce transmission by 67% – with efficacy rising to 82.4% after the second dose 12 weeks later.

Yes encouraging study on the Oxford \ AZ vaccine reducing transmission - note the study hasn't completed peer review yet:
A single dose of the Astrazeneca vaccine may reduce transmission of coronavirus by two thirds, according to a new study which provides a major boost to the UK’s recommendation that the second jab should be delayed for up to 12 weeks. Researchers said that the first dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab offers protection of 76% up to three months and may reduce transmission by 67% – with efficacy rising to 82.4% after the second dose 12 weeks later.

That's good news. People need to remember that the aim here is to reduce the R number so that infections don't become outbreaks and pandemics.

That's good news. People need to remember that the aim here is to reduce the R number so that infections don't become outbreaks and pandemics.

And especially good to see those figures from the Oxford AZ vaccine which is lined up for mass rollout to the biggest group (18-55 year olds), who may be less vulnerable to the virus but are big drivers of spread.

BBC are reporting that the React Study in the UK has found a 2/3rds reduction in infections. It doesn't appear to give any clear reasons for the reduction ie vaccines or lockdown

Edit : the Prof who runs this program has just said the reduction probably isn't attributable to the vaccine rollout.

Last edited:

It now seems that the vaccines are helping in the reduction of transmission and preventing people becoming seriously ill the study as yet hasn't been reviewed but is being described as good/great news.
The data from a slew of countries seems to suggest that all the questions we had about the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are slowly being answered, and those answers are what many of us hoped-for.

I am beginning to wonder why we have so many Covid cases with so many people vaccinated.

How many "breakthrough infections" are being recorded daily. Is it with people who got the AstraZeneca vaccination?

Why aren't we being told this information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back