The problems with Bitcoin

Status
Not open for further replies.
So anyone could develop a better crypto currency which resolves all those problems. Maybe that has to happen for you to realise that Bitcoin has no monetary value whatsoever.

You mean new technology replacing old technology, rendering the old technology worthless?
Thats being happening since the invention of the wheel...what gives?

While the idea of an alternative community of CypherPunks developing a universal currency is appealing to some, the reality is that the vast majority of people would prefer a Central Bank backed or state backed crypto currency without all the problems listed out by Philip.

Somewhat of an outlandish statement to purport to speak for over 50% of global population. But that aside, why cant I in my own insignificant way, choose to be part of one or both?

You mean new technology replacing old technology, rendering the old technology worthless?
Thats being happening since the invention of the wheel...what gives?

Your first mobile phone is worth nothing just as your Bitcoin now is worth nothing.

Brendan

Apologies. I was referencing your post above (93). Still, the question stands....why do so many people think these things about Bitcoin? If it was all fine and dandy wouldn't people know by now?

We are in a very early stage of the technology. It will take at least a decade until we will be able to appreciate it completely. I can’t help that. I was selling internet connections in the early nineties, all the objections i hear today about botcoin i heard about the internet.

This is the typical banker that adds blockchain to his title and knows zero about it.

10/11 nonsensical claims, this is real fun

I was thinking a bit more about this.

The seminar last week where these ideas were presented, was attended by many holders of Bitcoin and experts like our friend Julio.

They did not challenge the claims. Julio was quite happy to say that Cashaa was untrustworthy so, it's not that he was too shy to speak.

Or is that the rule of the Blockchain community - at meetings, it is rude to challenge nonsense?

Brendan

Or is that the rule of the Blockchain community - at meetings, it is rude to challenge nonsense?

It is rude to attack a speaker using foul language, in any environment, would you not agree?

Did Julio swear and then brag about it? Was he reprimanded by the chair of the conference?
I didn't think so

Firstly, we are talking about one of the most fundamental cornerstones of human activity which has undergone little in the way of disruption.
The exchange of FIAT currency has undergone massive change in the recent decades, from the introduction of ATMs to POS machines, to the introduction of e-commerce and the new entrants such as Stripe.

Secondly, bitcoin (& crypto generally) is a tech solution/development. How long did it take for internet related technologies to mature?
I note Bitcoin was released in 2009. That's almost 10 years which is a lifetime in the modern era where technology is concerned.

Im just wondering, when the Wright brothers flew the first aero flght, did anyone think it was all a bag of hot air because flights from London to New York were still a problem?
The Wright brothers flew their first flight in 1903. 11 years later planes were used in the First World War and for commercial flights. Where are we with Bitcoin?

Reactions: Leo
The exchange of FIAT currency has undergone massive change in the recent decades, from the introduction of ATMs to POS machines, to the introduction of e-commerce and the new entrants such as Stripe.
Some change yes but I don't think that has in any way challenged the status quo in terms of the traditional banks. Banks have gone online and such but they have managed that transition in-house. The same with POS and ATMs for the most part.

Stripe competes with other c.c. processing companies rather than eroding core banking revenue streams.
There has been some competition for banks on FX transfer from the likes of transfermate, etc. However, having done a few wire transfers recently, the old guard are still protecting this. On one transfer earlier this year, the receiving bank rejected it because I had used transfermate! It took a few days, there was no electronic tracking/confirmation and they still charged me heavily.
As regards ATMs, I'm getting screwed on FX and withdrawal fees royally here in South America.

I note Bitcoin was released in 2009. That's almost 10 years which is a lifetime in the modern era where technology is concerned.
Go back and check how long the development of the internet took from the very beginning.
The move from cash to plastic took 40 years to take hold.

The Wright brothers flew their first flight in 1903. 11 years later planes were used in the First World War and for commercial flights. Where are we with Bitcoin?
Sure but you are talking about mass adoption. When my parents and grandparents emigrated, they didnt fly whether that be the US or UK and that was still many decades after your Wright brothers flight.
You can still use bitcoin right now but it hasn't fully evolved..and it may not be one of the successful crypto's ultimately either - we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Fair point. Bitcoin is nowhere near launching its first commercial flight.
On the otherhand, scepticism of the Wright Bros acheivement was prevalant in some quarters at the time.

Go back and check how long the development of the internet took from the very beginning.
The move from cash to plastic took 40 years to take hold.

Even fiat currencies like the Euro have their origins from the late 1960's, with calls for a 'European currency' dating back to 1920's.

Despite that, within 6-7 years of its notes and coins circulating it was bankrupting nations and threatening to implode european economies.

Despite that, within 6-7 years of its notes and coins circulating it was bankrupting nations and threatening to implode european economies.
Do you think Tsipras is just waiting for bitcoin to sort out a few technical problems before Greece adopts it as its national currency?

Do you think Tsipras is just waiting for bitcoin to sort out a few technical problems before Greece adopts it as its national currency?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that BTC will be adopted as a national currency. That doesn't mean that the euro project isn't without its flaws - which is the side point TBS was making. For the purposes of staying on topic, his main point being that discussion on a European currency goes back many years. Therefore, it's not true to say that if BTC was of any consequence, it would have made a mass market impact by this stage.

Mr. PayPal no less thinks that bitcoin will be the World's single currency, possibly within 10 years.
I'm open to correction but my understanding is that Peter Thiel stated that BTC would become the online equivalent of gold. He also stated that the outlook is high risk and that there is a 50-80% chance that BTC would end up having no value. I don't think he ever stated that it would be the World's single currency. As regards national governments implementing it as a national currency, you know that's not going to happen as it's not what governments do.

I'm open to correction but my understanding is that Peter Thiel stated that BTC would become the online equivalent of gold. He also stated that the outlook is high risk and that there is a 50-80% chance that BTC would end up having no value. I don't think he ever stated that it would be the World's single currency. As regards national governments implementing it as a national currency, you know that's not going to happen as it's not what governments do.
Ok wrong guy. It was some other genius, whom I forget.

That has already been explained to you im sure, that bitcoin cannot be adopted as a national currency.

Mr. PayPal no less thinks that bitcoin will be the World's single currency, possibly within 10 years.

I doubt it.

Last edited:
Sorry guys. We closed the other thread. Pending a " balanced review" being produced. We are still waiting on it.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back