The Online Community & Business Resource for Women in Business in Ireland

Re: Irish Businesswomen

A lot of the headings on that site seem to refer to general issues for which I can't see any obvious reason for sex/gender discrimination. Maybe you can explain if/how women would have a different slant on, say, Technical Issues for example? :confused: Will similar sites be set up to provide this information to groups of people identified by other criteria (e.g. nationality, race, religious affiliations, height/weight etc.)?

'A lot of the headings on that site seem to refer to general issues for which I can't see any obvious reason for sex/gender discrimination. Maybe you can explain if/how women would have a different slant on, say, Technical Issues for example? :confused: Will similar sites be set up to provide this information to groups of people identified by other criteria (e.g. nationality, race, religious affiliations, height/weight etc.)?'

Hi Clubman

No, I can't fully explain. Someone referred me to the site yesterday and I liked it. I am not promoting it, just mentioning that it's there if anyone is interested.

It does seem that many of the women are Moms who are staying at home because of the extortionate cost of childcare in this country. They are trying to earn money with home based businesses. Many of the people contributing on that board, though not all seem to be 'home based business women'

Here is what it says in the bit about the site

' The development of this site has been facilitated primarily by the Mayo County Enterprise Board as part of its remit to promote Female Entrepreneurship. I am also happy to acknowledge the support we have received in the process from colleagues in other City and County Enterprise Boards nationally.

While we have made very significant progress over the past decade in terms of enterprise development in Ireland generally, we still, for whatever reason, have fewer female entrepreneurs than we should, or could, have. Our belief is that in establishing the site women can learn from each other and support each other to mutual benefit. '

I am sure though if we look hard enough we will be able to find sites that give out information to groups of people identified by other criteria. I hear there are many American ones but don't take my word for it until you investigate yourself if you want to.

Scoot on over and take a look. Even though it's geared to promoting women entrepreneurs I have noticed a man on there chatting and he doesn't seem bothered.

Sorry - I assumed that you were associated with it and promoting it, hence the questions. But they were also thrown out for the wider audience and maybe more suitable for The Great Financial Debates or Letting Off Steam?

I don't see the rationale for many of the topics listed being dealt with on a gender/sex specific basis to be honest. I remember somebody suggesting that AAM should have a special forum facilitating discussion of financial and other issues from a woman's angle (whatever that means) I personally thought that it was a ridiculous idea.

I am a woman but, for me, I look at all business sites and I am not bothered who they are geared towards. I almost always find something useful. I also look at sites geared to US and UK and even Australia.

suileglasa said:
It does seem that many of the women are Moms who are staying at home because of the extortionate cost of childcare in this country. They are trying to earn money with home based businesses. Many of the people contributing on that board, though not all seem to be 'home based business women'

I have a a bit of a personal angle on this kind of thinking. I am a young single father with full time custody of my son. When I started my business 15 months ago I looked at the usual support avenues (enterprise boards etc). I came across alot of support and rhetoric aimed at single mothers but none for single dads. I am well aware that this is just indicative if a wider attitude in society but it can be little frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the help that single mothers get and deserve but despite the fact that some agencies seemed to find my story incredulous, there are an increasing amount of men in my situation.

Women have traditionally had a hard time in the male dominated world of business but I think that it is rapidly changing for the better. Hopefully other attitudes will catch up soon.

I have a a bit of a personal angle on this kind of thinking. I am a young single father with full time custody of my son. When I started my business 15 months ago I looked at the usual support avenues (enterprise boards etc). I came across alot of support and rhetoric aimed at single mothers but none for single dads.

I can see how this must be very difficult and I know it is true. My own brother was an at home Dad trying to run a business for a while and had a similar problem. I hope that things are working out for you. I am a woman and I don't have kids, but whether I am a man or woman, I can't imagine how I would manage it all if I did!

Women have traditionally had a hard time in the male dominated world of business but I think that it is rapidly changing for the better. Hopefully other attitudes will catch up soon.

I do think it is changing but at a slow pace. As well as running a small business I have another job for the moment. In there, there are far more women than men but almost all of the Managers, at every level are male.

Anyway, good luck to you all, male or female. I just saw that site and thought I would let people know. I read all sites to do with business and I am not bothered whether they say they are geared to male or female, or any particular country or group. There is almost always something useful to learn.

All the best

Suile

Suileglasa - just to clarify I dont think that anybody was having a go at you personally whatever about at the idea of having gender specific sites on issues of general interest.

Hi clubman

I didn't mean to come across all defensive! I don't think anyone was having a go at me;)

I know, from talking to him, that Brendan thought that some of the posts on the site were very funny anyway! :D

Hi ClubMan

I'll speak for myself, thanks:)

Hi Suile

I thought it was a very interesting site. I moderate the Askaboutbusiness Forum on Askaboutmoney. Over the years different people had proposed setting up a business contacts section on Askaboutmoney but decided against it. I think that Irishbusinesswomen have achieved this.

I checked it out at the time you mentioned it, and I thought that some of the posts were very funny indeed. Offhand, I can't remember which ones. Not as funny as some of the ones on Askaboutmoney, but we have some real comics here like ClubMan.

Brendan

There are some very funny posts on that site about new business startups (e.g. homeopathetic practitioners, lactation consultants and so on) where the respondents simply pat the original poster on the back and say how lovely it all sounds instead of actually giving useful and pragmatic advice including about possible flaws and caveats that might apply. I thought those posts were very funny myself.

Hi Brian

There is a difference between funny and nonsense. Repeated nonsense posts devalues the site for the vast majority.

Brendan

Back