Key Post The Extreme Importance of Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Shane007

I would just like to highlight the importance of carbon monoxide alarms. Following the unfortunate tragedy of the Sligo family, it is now known that a wrapper from a multi-pack crisp packet was to blame. It was thrown onto the fire which instead of burning, it was blown into the chimney and blocked the flue, causing the products of combustion, i.e. carbon monoxide, back into the room.

Many people think that carbon monoxide is just a by-product of natural gas, but in fact it is a by-product from burning ANY FOSSIL FUEL, such as NATURAL GAS, BOTTLED GAS, OIL, COAL, TIMBER, etc.

Carbon monoxide alarms should be placed in every room there is a fuel being burnt, such as kitchens, living rooms, etc. An alarm should also be located in any room such as bedroom that an unlined flue passes through that room within the wall structure. Clay liners are porous and carbon monxide can enter a bedroom through the wall if for example a bird built a nest in the chimney.

Also always install a crow guard on any open flue.

my MIL recently got one fitted in her sitting room at the side of the chimney breast about 12" from the ceiling (room is std height approx 8" high). Is this too high?
cheers donee

It should be fine. They are fairly sensitive. Best practice is to install in a location as per the individual manufacturer's instructions. They should have an "end of life" indicator. The unit must comply with EN 50291. Many do not and many have been recalled due to malfunction. Always test regularly.

For further information, there is an excellent website: www.carbonmonoxide.ie

EI Electronics do decent ones. They are also made in Ireland (Shannon). They have various types to suit all budgets. Mains and battery operated. Also ones that are self monitoring.

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Also Woodies stock them who currently have 20% off at the moment.

Another is http://www.safelincs.ie/carbon-monoxide-detectors/

I have no fire place any more it's been filled in. Also I don't have a gas hob. I just have a new condenser boiler in the the utility room. Do I need one?

I have no fire place any more it's been filled in. Also I don't have a gass hob. I just have a new condenser boiler in the the utility room. Do I need one?

Yes, you should buy one for your utility room.

Shane, well done on an extremely informative post to highlight the fact that its not just a by product of gas fires but all fossil fuels & wood being burnt.

I work for the largest manufacturer of CO detectors in the world, specifically the division aswell that makes them but its one product that I am not directly responsible for.

However, I am always highlighting the dangers of CO posioning to my customers by giving out free samples on an ongoing basis.

Basically, all CO detectors on the market use the City Technology cell for CO detection. As Shane mentions as long as the unit complies with EN50291 standard then this is what you should be looking for.

After that it comes down to cost. Units can vary from about €20 up to €50. The cheaper €20 units are typically fitted with a dry cell 9V battery and have maybe a yr warranty, where the more expensive units are sealed, have a 6yr battery, 6yr sensor & 6yr warranty. After 6yrs you throw it out and replace the full unit and if it fails in that period you get a replacement unit free of charge. I prefer the latter and this is what we sell as you know you are protected for 6yrs (test them regularly aswell)

You also have ones with displays but to be honest are not worth paying for. Then you have mains powered and DC powered units that can be connected into monitoring systems such as you house alarm which can be a little more expensive

We do not sell direct over in Ireland but all through distributors so if you have any questions I am always dropping in every now & again...

Happy New Year

I have oil heating with the boiler in the back garden. We cook with electricity. We do not use our fireplaces. Do I need an alarm?

I have oil heating with the boiler in the back garden. We cook with electricity. We do not use our fireplaces. Do I need an alarm?

I'd put one in the room where the pipe from the boiler enters the house.
Going to buy two now myself, one for the kitchen and one for the sitting room where we have an open fire.

my MIL recently got one fitted in her sitting room at the side of the chimney breast about 12" from the ceiling (room is std height approx 8" high). Is this too high?
cheers donee

To answer this more accurately, carbon monoxide gas has a specific gravity of 0.9657, therefore it is ever so slightly lighter than air, specific gravity of air being 1.

Therefore, when placed in a room where the heat producing appliance is located, it would be better to locate a carbon monoxide alarm at a higher location, however, in a bedroom or other room, it would be better to have the monitor located at head level where you are breathing.

thanks for highlighting this - I will be honest I always thought that CO poisoning was something that happened with slow build up from faulty appliances etc. I never for a minute thought it could happen so quickly from an open fire. I have bought an alarm and will be emailing the appropriate minister to lobby for building regs to include as standard in all rooms with appliances/open fires.

Installing a vent in each room sounds to me a safer option than an alarm in a fully air-enclosed room?

A fully enclosed room would be in breach of building regs.
Leo

A property is only in breach of building regs if it has been constructed in non-compliance with the building regs in force at the time. This doesn't really answer my query.

I doubt there is a single room that is effectively 'air-enclosed' that pre dates the regs. The mere presence of a vent will not guarantee there will be no build up of caron monoxide, so it would make sense to install an alarm where appropriate.
Leo

Installing a vent in each room sounds to me a safer option than an alarm in a fully air-enclosed room?

I would certainly not rely on a room vent as a safety option over a proper carbon monoxide alarm. How would you calculate the vent size requirement for the amount of carbon monoxide produced, for example, you could have a CO amount of 400 ppm or you could have 10,000 ppm. A CO alarm will scream at well under 50 ppm which is below the threshold limit with no apparent toxic symptoms. If you entered a room with high levels of CO, how would you know that the levels have dropped enough for you to enter said room through natural ventilation of the vent. Remember, CO is odourless!

Either way, you will require ventilation for all "OPEN FLUED APPLIANCES". This will where the heat producing appliance takes its air for proper combustion from the room itself, rather than a "Balanced Flue" or "Room Sealed Flue" whether it independently takes it air directly from outside. There are Building Regulation requirements already set out to size these properly and are normally calculated on the kW output of the appliance itself.

Back