The Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Leo I stand over my post 133. You can interpret anyway you wish.

Fair enough, but I interpret 'more people' to mean more people, a greater number. You seem to be interpreting it as a greater percentage of those who contract the virus.

Focusing purely on mortality rate is meaningless though unless you also factor in transmission rates and generation time.

That's apples and orange: % of reported vs. % infected. A lot of covid19-infected people are not reported as they have mild symptoms
Or maybe it's apples and apples. A lot of flu-infected people may not be reported due to mild symptoms. In any event, I was just stating WHO said what.

Last edited:
I think it is too soon to trade off statistics.

However, I should like to ask what does containment mean?

No amount of handwashing or surface cleaning will help if I am a sneeze away from an infected person who is, or worse, is not symptomatic.

This is not an indigenous virus. It is imported and so far all imported from Northern Italy.

Surely it is less costly in health and economic terms to prevent/quarantine its arrival rather than deal with the damaging aftermath of its entry.

This is not an indigenous virus. It is imported and so far all imported from Northern Italy.

What's an indigenous virus? This one originated in China.

Surely it is less costly in health and economic terms to prevent/quarantine its arrival rather than deal with the damaging aftermath of its entry.

No, it isn't, and that's why bodies such as the WHO advise against such measures.

No, it isn't, and that's why bodies such as the WHO advise against such measures

From the same website:

“Travellers returning from affected areas should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days and follow national protocols of receiving countries. Some countries may require returning travellers to enter quarantine…”

In the case of quarantine, WHO considers countries with "limited response capacities" to deal with outbreaks.

And

“For countries which decide to repatriate nationals from affected areas, they should consider the following to avoid further spread of COVID-19: exit screening shortly before flight; risk communication to travellers and crew; infection control supplies for voyage; crew preparedness for possibility of sick passenger in flight; entry screening on arrival and close follow-up for 14 days after arrival.”

First community-acquired case reported from Cork, looks like the middle aged man has being in contact with a lot of health care staff Before being tested and confirmed with the virus

“Travellers returning from affected areas should self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days and follow national protocols of receiving countries. Some countries may require returning travellers to enter quarantine…”

You suggested:

Surely it is less costly in health and economic terms to prevent/quarantine its arrival

The WHO suggesting people should self-monitor is a long way from preventing people entering the country.

First community-acquired case reported from Cork, looks like the middle aged man has being in contact with a lot of health care staff Before being tested and confirmed with the virus
There have been people in quarantine in cork hospital for during last month with the virus[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
“The biggest challenge to the functioning of our State that we have ever seen.”
A doctor from the Department of International Health and Tropical Medicine at the Royal College of Surgeons has said he thinks Covid 19 has become a national emergency.
Professor Sam McConkey said an Emergency Cabinet involving all parties should be set up to take stronger action.

I think we should be cautious about this virus. It may affect generations to come.
There is no vaccine and research has just begun in ernest. It may not affect the young now but we may carry it until our immune systems become impaired.
Look at how hard it is for past governments to stop the spread of Rubella, CMV, herpies and other resilant viruses.
Will it affect our blood donor supply? How long does it remain in our systems? What could it mutate into? Will it affect the unborn child and in a few months time see the repercussions? It can cross between human and animal which is a cause for concern.

All food for thought when washing your hands.

Yes, of course you are right but many older people are retired and they can do alot to protect themselves in the social distancing aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back