The Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
A SCHOOL IN Dublin is set to close for 14 days in response to the first case of Covid-19 in the Republic of Ireland... It’s understood the patient is a pupil at the school and that the school is based in Dublin.
What is the planning in place to support workers and employers if the patient worked in the private sector 188 a week instead of a normal weekly wage will not pay much of a Mortgage if groups of people have to self isolate for the greater good of the rest of the Irish republic population,

I suspect that a lot of people get infected but only mildly and so are missing from the overall number of infected persons

Not trying to minimise the problem, just trying to keep a sensible position.
I think this is a worry people will not be in a position to self isolate resulting in infecting others and spreading the virus to people with compromised health,
A lot of damage can be done if people are slow to report suspected cases because they cannot afford time out of work unless/until they are sure the have the virus.,

Last edited:
I expect the DSP will put in place special social welfare payments, to cover a period of isolation.
188 a week is not to be sneezed at.

It’s very concerning, the outcomes are unknown. What preparations are people making? Would you be ready if you were told to self-isolate tomorrow?

Having a son with wife living in Hong Kong through this we have taken some advice from him.
We stocked up with some dry goods, such as pasta, rice, powders, tins etc. This was in addition to our normal shop. Nothing will go to waste, all will be eaten.
In Hong Kong all the masks, hand gels were long gone after a few days. (hand gels are now back and available). People were fighting over toilet rolls in the supermarkets. Some of the packaged food stuffs were running low in supermarkets. Fresh food was plentiful.
We picked up a supply of hand gels, face masks, disinfectant wipes etc, here in Dublin before they were all gone. Initially these were bought to send to our son in Hong Kong, which we did, unfortunately some parcels disappeared in transit. Now we will keep some for ourselves, just in case.

People are the same all over and apparently there were queues in some supermarkets in Dublin yesterday. We bought mainly to avoid the queues and crowds.

Public Health England says highly likely there will be widespread transmission in Northern England.

EU Crisis Management Commissioner on coronavirus: "While we should not give in to panic, the situation is likely to still get worse so we need to be prepared and time is of essence"

Hospitals struggle with the flu surge every year; need to minimise the number of people who need treatment in a short space of time.

Flu season was shorter than usual this year, it also started earlier, so it's effectively over.

People are the same all over and apparently there were queues in some supermarkets in Dublin yesterday. We bought mainly to avoid the queues and crowds.

yes, this is most peoples opinion, avoid the supermarkets, riskof infect
I don't where or what you are basing those odds on, but I think and hope you are way off.
I don't know, personally, one person who got 'sars', ebola, avian flu, spanish flu etc.

As far as I can remember, I have never had a flu jab and, touch wood, nor have I ever got the flu and I worked
for years in crowded and varied places. Countless colds and sniffles but never full blown influenza.
And I ain't no spring chick.

I can say the very same thing, in fact I have never even had to take a antibiotic in my entire life. I hope to live to be 100 :cool:

scientific evidence.

And you'd need to be over 100 years of age to know any one who contracted the so-called 'Spanish Flu'.

'scientific evidence' ? Any chance you could give some pointers to this 'evidence' that the odds are we will all get it as you have stated, please?

As to your second remark, I think your maths may be a bit out. Spanish flu:- 1918-1919, say I was born in the 50's, so a reasonable overlap of relatives aged 30+ as I grew up, wouldn't you agree?

My point is that a sweeping statement such as:-

Thirsty said:
The odds are we are all going to get this, ............

is simply not true and is IMO somewhat reckless and tantamount to scaremongering.

Last edited:
Get a grip.

Edit: Ok I'll answer the question - H1N1, which surfaced in 2009 is now commonplace and part of the general infections we get. Thats what I base my 'odds' on.

Tell me which of your relatives recalls suffering from Spanish Flu.

Last edited:
A second case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Ireland tonight. It concerns a female in the east of Ireland who travelled from Northern Italy.
Up to yesterday, 397 people have been tested and the results have been negative. The exceptions are the two confirmed cases.

In my humble opinion there is far to much scaremongering by the media re corona virus.E.G.Dramatic newspaper headlines etc. to sell newspapers.etc. Some people are really overly frightened .

In my humble opinion there is far to much scaremongering by the media re corona virus.E.G.Dramatic newspaper headlines etc. to sell newspapers.etc. Some people are really overly frightened .

It spooked the Chinese, and that wasn't anything to do with media coverage.
The measures they deployed in Wuhan \ Hubei to contain the virus were on a level I don't think any other country could match.

I disagree.

Our health systems could not cope with a major outbreak.

Containment is in the best interest of all but in particular our most vulnerable citizens who cannot afford to be exposed to this virus - oncology patients, diabetics, those with cystic fibrosis, those with compromised respiratory or immune systems, etc.

There have been 3 confirmed cases that travelled from Northern Italy through Dublin Airport and yet there are no restrictions on travelling to and from that region.

The insidious nature of this virus is that people who have it might not be symptomatic for a fortnight or longer and could spread infection to numerous people who, would have to be traced, including those in vulnerable groups. Then we would have a major outbreak.

Contrast current containment action with that of the 2001 foot & mouth outbreak.

Major sporting fixtures were postponed or cancelled. The St. Patrick's Day Celebrations were deferred, the Dublin Zoo and Fota Park were closed the Cheltenham festival was cancelled, there was a ban on horse and greyhound racing. The country was in lockdown for a month with travel restrictions everywhere and disinfection mats and buckets outside businesses schools, hospitals, etc.

Last edited:
from The Guardian: Plans are being brought forward to allow the payment of statutory sick pay from the very first day someone is sick instead of four days, Britain’s prime minister, Boris Johnson, has told MPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back