The Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading it I'd expect more chance of contagion in the Aviva than in Aldi.

All those products on sale in Aldi were touched by multiple people before they make it into your basket, which was also touched by many, many people...

I'm not trying to be dismissive or indeed light hearted about the concern re coronavirus, but calling off a match and at the same time allowing all the fans to travel over here anyway is simply astonishing. Talk about pandering to the masses, but anyway, it's done now. Crossed my mind when it was announced that the sooner we have a few cases of the virus the better, at least it will then be seen what exactly all those appointed health experts we're being told about have planned for every one of us after all those planning meetings they've had. I've no doubt it'll be ground breaking in it's outcome.

Are the affected red zones in Italy not under lockdown so there will be no fans coming from affected areas. Schools, universities, businesses etc closed in those areas with exception of pharmacies, health facilities and some shops.

So up to now, I've been taking some comfort from the stats that around 1-2% of those infected have died; until it was noted on CNN that that was a similar rate to the so-called 'Spanish Flu' of 1918 which killed more people world wide than died in WW1.

So up to now, I've been taking some comfort from the stats that around 1-2% of those infected have died; until it was noted on CNN that that was a similar rate to the so-called 'Spanish Flu' of 1918 which killed more people world wide than died in WW1.

Holy mother of Gd, that's it, i'm off, vitamin D calls and I will report from further afield in a few days. Hope you're all alive when I get back and have the shakings of a Govt in place. I certainly don't want to come home to a scene of all the community centres in the country turned into isolation units with a lot of the friendly and startled posters on here contained within. Now, if that happens i'll be back on that plane quicker than Simple Simon gave the Irish rugby team a reprieve from the invading Italians and stopped the rot on the green playing fields of Ballsbridge. Oh yes, the good times are coming and no flu or Chinese virus will stop the Irish. Like the Berlin wall this Chinese one will fall. Tiocfaidh ár lá :cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one don't believe numbers out of China and I am sure many others don't either. You dont close down cities as big as Wuhan for 2,500 deaths.
Following Coronavirus Twitter. Its opened my eyes.

Just back from Italy. Not the affected areas. I had temp checked on arrival to Italy. Any fever signs would have meant a hospital visit.
On return from Italy walked past a desk in Dublin airport with a hse sign. 2 people who didn't even look up from their conversation while the entire Italian flight walked past. Not sure what the point was.

Just back from Italy. Not the affected areas. I had temp checked on arrival to Italy. Any fever signs would have meant a hospital visit.
On return from Italy walked past a desk in Dublin airport with a hse sign. 2 people who didn't even look up from their conversation while the entire Italian flight walked past. Not sure what the point was.
If you think about it, what is the point of the temp check in Italy either? If one passenger fails the check is only that one person put into quarantine? Shouldn't all passengers from the plane be put into quarantine really as they have all just spend a few hours next to this one person and may well have picked up the virus. I'm not saying Dublin airport were right in their approach, all I'm saying is there is no easy solution to this and to me the temp check in Italy is more for show than anything else.

You offer people a vaccine against the cornavirus today like the flu jab and I bet all the people sticking up food supplies and calling for borders to be closed still wouldn't get it.

You'd be mad to take a coronavirus vaccine if one came out today or even in next few months. No way it could've been properly tested for side effects.
The swine flu vaccine was a rush job and the narcolepsy side effects are dreadful for those affected.

If you think about it, what is the point of the temp check in Italy either?

It just gives a warm fuzzy feeling to the masses that the authorities are doing something and it's all under control. Of course with an incubation period now believed to be up to 27 days, assessing people as safe simply based on a point in time temperature reading is as pointless as using tarot cards to make a diagnosis.

I for one don't believe numbers out of China and I am sure many others don't either. You dont close down cities as big as Wuhan for 2,500 deaths.
Following Coronavirus Twitter. Its opened my eyes.

I think we need to be mindful that not everything posted on Twitter and other media and social media pages is correct. I'm as guilty as anyone for following them and it is a concern for me, not necessarily the sickness (although of course I'm worried for older members of my family), but the bigger picture and the whole global repercussions. I watched a press conference yesterday from the Doctor that led the WHO investigation in China. He was very impressed with the way the Chinese have dealt with this and how their lockdowns have reduced the spread. His worry is that other countries won't be able to put the same measures in place. It was an interesting watch. If anyone would like to have a look at it you can see it here:

All those products on sale in Aldi were touched by multiple people before they make it into your basket, which was also touched by many, many people...
Perhaps. But the virus is predominately spread person to person, not from surfaces. A do nothing unless you do everything attitude will, well, do nothing to mitigate or slow the spread of the virus.

Spanish flu affected one third of the world population at the time and killed 50+ million. Having a long incubation and being seemingly quite contagious this virus could affect a large percentage of the world population. Even with a low fatality rate it may kill an awful lot of people (particularly older people). If it gets out of hand it could stretch food production/distribution to breaking point and will break already creaking health systems.

While we shouldn't be overly anxious about it I don't think we should be blasé or defeatist about it either.

If you saw someone coughing in to the air and over foodstuffs in the supermarket would you ask that person to cover their mouth?

I was in SuperValu in Blackrock this week and there was a woman walking around coughing in to the air. Coughing over the products on the shelves, over her trolley and over her self scanning thingy she was holding. I wanted to say something to her, and I would have, except I did not want to go anywhere near her.
I was also in Curry's Carrickmines. A staff member working behind the counter was doing the same. I was amazed that none of her colleagues working alongside her did not say anything to her.
I said to her "coughs and sneezes spread diseases". She just laughed. Totally unaware.

I watched a press conference yesterday from the Doctor that led the WHO investigation in China. He was very impressed with the way the Chinese have dealt with this and how their lockdowns have reduced the spread.
This article is interesting in this regard . . https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...cracies-are-better-fighting-outbreaks/606976/

"China’s harsh response to the coronavirus has influential admirers, but Western nations recognize that public health fundamentally depends on public trust."

"Democracies’ ability to cope with COVID-19 will soon be tested; after a proliferation of cases in South Korea, Japan, and Italy in recent days, officials are weighing how to respond. But citizens of democratic nations can reasonably expect a higher level of candor and accountability from their governments."

Last edited:
City Link straight to the airport from the west on a beautiful morning, but a very very cold one. Not one mention of the virus and no procedure at all in place. Arrived at the airport, a few travellers going around in masks but otherwise nothing whatsoever would yell you that a virus could be in the offing. Went through customs, into a few toilets, walked around some of the shops, had a coffee and down to Gate 117 for my journey that enabled me to pass through a lot of the airport on the way to my gate but not a single sign or anything in place anywhere I went. As for the plane? It hadn't been cleaned out, just loose stuff picked off seats and the floor, the rest a bit messy and again, not as much as a mention of anything to do with Coronavirus. The usual coughs and grunts + runny noses during the flight with furtive glances being thrown at certain snorters, otherwise zilch confrontations. I was hoping for some action. Same at the other end in Fuerteventura, nothing at all anywhere. There you have it, it might be different on the way home or in the resort, we'll see, but I wouldn't bet on it. Moral of this story being, mind yourself coz no one else is going to. Also, it might help some people as some older ones I met today were rather anxious and quite nervous about this Corona stuff.

@noproblem maybe you should have stayed at home so , you have as much chance of spreading it as any of those people you are criticizing, So everyone else must go to gargantuan efforts however ineffectual to stop the spread except for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back