The bank is not always to blame when people are scammed

arbitron

Never thought I would say this but this story actually has me feeling sorry for PTSB: When Grace lost €6,412 in a scam, she asked her bank for help. Here’s what happened

“I received a text message from an unknown number, sayingHi mum’ and saying the texter was texting from a friend’s phone, having smashed theirs. They gave me a new number and said to call/or text on this new number.”

As it happened Grace’s husband was not around “to bounce the text request off due to work, so I was sucked in. When I did attempt to call the texter, I received a text to say that calls couldn’t be answered as the microphone on that phone was bad. The texts then went on to say that texter had dropped the phone and was stressed and hoped they wouldn’t lose pictures.”

Grace got a message from the person she thought was her daughter asking for a favour. “The texter said that because of this change of phone her bank had blocked this new phone number and she needed to make payments and was stressed out. As I still believed I was texting my daughter, who had been stressed the evening before, I agreed to make a payment. The bank details of the payee were then sent by WhatsApp to me, and I transferred the amount requested, €6,412.14.”

She actually received a call from PTSB to verify that it was she who was transferring the funds and, because she was so convinced she was sending the cash to her stressed-out daughter, she confirmed it to be the case.

“It was only later that same evening when my daughter called to my home that I asked her what had happened with her phone, and she replied ‘nothing’. Then I realised I had been scammed. I am an OAP, so was devastated at the loss of this amount of money,” Grace says.

She immediately phoned PTSB’s fraud number. It was about five hours after she had transferred the money, and she spoke to a man who said he was sending her details to the non-plastic fraud department who would contact her the following day.

I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt but this is testing every fibre of empathy and credulity. The scam has more red flags than a Turkish football match.

I cannot see how PTSB are the villains here. A 5 hour delay may as well be 5 weeks - the fraudsters will have cleared that account ASAP. The Irish Times and this person seem to think there should be a sort of CSI Stephen's Green with 24/7 access to crack teams of investigators.

Irish banks cannot afford to investigate and take the hit every time someone makes a really poor decision. And the likes of Conor Pope should not be entertaining these people, perpetuating an attitude which drives up costs and gives people a false sense of security that the bank will always make them whole.

The only thing I will say in her favour is that I'm surprised PTSB allows someone to make such a large transfer to a newly added account. Bank of Ireland for example will only allow you transfer €1,000 for the first transaction and you can't send any more until the following day.

Back