The bank is not always to blame when people are scammed

arbitron

Never thought I would say this but this story actually has me feeling sorry for PTSB: When Grace lost €6,412 in a scam, she asked her bank for help. Here’s what happened

I usually try to give people the benefit of the doubt but this is testing every fibre of empathy and credulity. The scam has more red flags than a Turkish football match.

I cannot see how PTSB are the villains here. A 5 hour delay may as well be 5 weeks - the fraudsters will have cleared that account ASAP. The Irish Times and this person seem to think there should be a sort of CSI Stephen's Green with 24/7 access to crack teams of investigators.

Irish banks cannot afford to investigate and take the hit every time someone makes a really poor decision. And the likes of Conor Pope should not be entertaining these people, perpetuating an attitude which drives up costs and gives people a false sense of security that the bank will always make them whole.

The only thing I will say in her favour is that I'm surprised PTSB allows someone to make such a large transfer to a newly added account. Bank of Ireland for example will only allow you transfer €1,000 for the first transaction and you can't send any more until the following day.