The Aviva stadium and rugby matches

Peanuts20

I see the Aviva and the IRFU will not stop their policy of selling drink during games and allowing people to bring it back to their seats.

I attended a couple of the Autumn internationals with my kids and I don't know what was worse, the puddles of beer on the ground, the constant having to get up and down as people get up to get more beer or go to the loo as they can't hold it or the glazed and drunken looks in people's faces as the match went on. When I did go to the loo at half time, I did see a few people wiping their noses on coming out of cubicles. Maybe they had a cold but I somehow doubt it.

It actually didn't feel a safe place to be with kids if I'm being honest and I dread to think what would happen if there was some kind of a fire or crush, given the drunken state of some of the fans. I won't be back with this policy continuing

I'm not being a killjoy but I was also at the Norway soccer match and whilst the game was garbage the fans were more engaged.

It's 2x40 minute halves. How hard is it for people to get drinks before game and at the interval and that's it?

It's not like it is american football where you need refreshments to sustain you through it (!) and the game is set up for many breaks.

Yeah, its stupid. If you are in your seat drinking, you might as well be at a bar....I never understood drinking at games anyway....I am guilty as anyone ordering one last pint and rocking up 10 minutes before kick off but I have no interest in drinking at the stadium....To be honest, I used to go to vast majority of rugby and soccer games at the Aviva but now I pick and choose. Cost is one major aspect but also atmosphere or lack of. When it's good, its bloody brilliant but that's rare these days. It's not money well spent in majority of cases no matter what happens on the pitch

I don't go to international's any more. The atmosphere at interprovincials is much better.
A good Leinster/Munster is great and it suits both sets of fans as the Munster supporters don't have to travel home for the match. ;)

I don't go to international's any more. The atmosphere at interprovincials is much better.
A good Leinster/Munster is great and it suits both sets of fans as the Munster supporters don't have to travel home for the match. ;)
I'm surprised you can even tolerate being in the same stadium as them.

And it gives a lot of the Munster players a chance to pop home.....

Speaking as a Munster man in exile in the Leinster part of Not Cork, what can I say.............

I was at the Munster/Toulouse match and the atmosphere was much better and the drinking was far less. I do think part of the issue for Internationals is too many people on a corporate jolly. I do recall at the Australia game my teen age daughter looking at one middle aged man in the row in front of us who was totally out of it and hardly knew where he was and she just sighed. It's often people who should know better who are behaving like that.

It's one reason I prefer going to the NCH for a concert. I recall being at one before lockdown and they closed the doors just before the start and kept them closed and it dawned on me afterwards that one of the reasons I really enjoyed it was because I was not up and down like a yo-yo.

I'm surprised you can even tolerate being in the same stadium as them.
Sure the whole place is infested with them. They are working in our hospitals, teaching our children and working in industry... mainly in Dublin.

Sure the whole place is infested with them. They are working in our hospitals, teaching our children and working in industry... mainly in Dublin.
You must have had a day of independence celebration when one of them was no longer Teeshock.

Back