Text message saying "Call me back urgently"

LDFerguson

Mrs F got a text message this morning from 0056322553757 saying "call me noow ugeently". She showed it to me and I did a quick spot of Googling. As suspected, it's a scam - presumably a premium-rate phone number you call back. See this thread on Boards.ie

just don't respond to or worry about "call me now urgently" requests from strange numbers:D

...or if you are in a really evil mood ....

Find someone you've been wanting to play a trick on and use their phone to call back the international premium rate number :eek:

This is doing the rounds again, two members of the family got the same message yesterday and to-day.

I got that text twice today, didn't notice it until just now. Hope it wasn't that urgent...:D

.. and when they do, put on them on hold for an extremely long time or else blow a whistle down the phone (assuming it's not a genuine call needless to say) ;)

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but that's a very bad idea. Many of these scams count on you staying online for a few seconds, after which they dial you through to a premium line (even if they called you), costing you a lot of money.

which they dial you through to a premium line (even if they called you), costing you a lot of money.

I don't think that this is correct.

If you take a call, you can't be charged for it.

But if it is true, could you provide a link to some official site which shows this.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, sorry no I don't have a link to further information, but a couple of years ago there was a spate of such calls to me and family members on at least two different phones. On each occasion you'd answer the call, hear silence for a couple of seconds followed by dialling noises. On looking up the call details for my own phone I found some very odd charges that seemed to tally.

On looking up the call details for my own phone I found some very odd charges that seemed to tally.

Did you check them out with your phone company?

You can be called for subscribing to text services, but that is a different issue and another source of scamming.

I haven't heard of it being possible to subscribe for incoming phone calls.

Back