Testing the new reply buttons

Discussion in 'Suggestion box' started by Bronte, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronte

Bronte Frequent Poster

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017
    These first few posts are copied from another thread to allow us test the new buttons.

We are trying to change the way people hit the Reply button and quote the entire post.

From now on, when you hit reply, you will reply without quoting the text.

If you want to quote the text in your reply, you will have to highlight the text, and then post reply.

(Bronte - your original text has been deleted for test purposes.)

Brendan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2017
  2. Firefly

Firefly Frequent Poster

I didn't paint any doomsday scenarios. You've stated that the worst that can happen is that you lose your deposit and the car. That is incorrect. You are on the hock for the balance between what the finance company purchased the car for and the repayments you have to the finance company thus far. If the finance company can sell the car for this balance, then you are right. However if they can't, you are on the hock for the difference.

So you've spent 39k and you still don't own the car? You can keep kicking the can down the road if the finance company keeps offering this deal of course. Assuming that the price of cars doesn't increase and interest rates stay at 1.9% (not very likely I would say), your best case is paying 7,400 a year in perpetuity or else taking what little equity you have left and buying a jalopy. However if you go for PCP #3 though you are probably after paying 50 - 60k at this stage. Regardless, at some stage, that final "optional" payment will need to be repaid and you will be left with little or nothing to show for it.

I don't mean this as a dig at you, but I wonder how many people taking out PCP deals for cars costing 45k would spend 45k on a car from their savings account if 45k was magically lodged to their savings account. I would say very few.

3. Firefly

Firefly Frequent Poster

Are you sure about that? Why would the finance company factor this in when lending you money? It has to obtain the 35k itself (45k - deposit) and lend all of this to buy the car from the garage.

4. Bronte

Bronte Frequent Poster

This is broadly correct.
    Car 1 25 months plus car 2 36 months = 61 months or circa you will have paid 620 a month. But you own nothing. And you've spent the guts of 40K in 5 years.

5. Firefly

Firefly Frequent Poster

It's a great play in your case. You want a new car and have the funds to buy one outright. You are availing of 0% and probably getting free servicing and everything else. It's a no brainer (assuming you are ok with the depreciation side of things that go with buying a new car).

I may well adopt this strategy myself. I would be interested in a 3-4 year old car from a main dealer. If they can offer me 0% I would take it too as I will have the funds to buy the car outright before I step into the garage.

For the majority of people though they will be losing most of their initial deposit, paying several hundred a month over a number of years and in the end have little or nothing to show for it.

6. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Ok, we don't want this to happen. I hit reply and the whole post is repeated.

7. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

OK, this is good.

On the first post, I hit the Reply thread, button and it brought me to this text box. without quoting.

Brendan

8. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

I highlighted the text I wanted to quote and hit reply.

Brendan

9. JohnJay

JohnJay Frequent Poster

Cool. Much easier.

10. Brendan Burgess

Brendan Burgess Founder

Hi John

That hasn't changed. It's always been like that.

Brendan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.