tenants paying bills b4 moving out

bob24

Hi,

I have a house rented to students since last September. They are due to move out in the next couple of weeks and I have a query about the bills. All bills (esb/gas/waste) are in one of the tenants name. If they fail to pay their final bill will this cause an issue when I want to reconnect it in my name e.g. the wont reconnect until outstanding bill is paid. I'm just trying to find out what I things I should be looking into before I return their deposit.

Thanks, any advice appreciated.

My old tenant had ESB and gas bill's in her name and had arrears when she left.

You've got to make sure that the gas and electricity meters are read when your old tenat leaves. Get your tenant to confirm in writing the meter readings if you can. You should ring the ESB and Bord Gais and get the accounts back into your name staright away with the correct meter reading.

You'ill find that if you ask the ESB/Bord Gais if there is any bills outstanding that they will not tell you ie. it's none of your business.

Waste charges(particularly flat charges) are a little different I believe that they may be attached to the house rather than the tenant so you should try to ensure that the tenants pay that before you give them their depsoit back

Back