Tenant not paid this months rent

L

Landlord

What are the rights regarding dealing with tenants who have not paid their rent for a month ? Does the landlord still have to give one months notice as verbally agreed in order to evict. Oasis states that a months notice must be given unless extreme circumstances but I doubt this includes rent arrears. If a months notice is given what defence has the landlord got with people who just decide to not pay the final months rent so deposit doesn't cover rent let alone any damage. I'm excluding the long winded rent board direction, just wonder if rent not paid surely the landlord has the right to quicker eviction. I know the landlord can be better off trying to reach amicable agreements or cut losses but just curious as to whether there is any other option.

What does it say in the lease signed between you and the tenant, assuming of course you have one?

Are you sure the tenant is still around?

Hi Landlord,

I had a tenant that didnt pay her rent, I called her and she assured me that the rent would be paid that week. At the end of the week when no rent was paid I gave her one months notice (as per our contract), she left in the middle night near the end of that month leaving bills, arrears and taking stuff from my property (minor stuff like bed spreads, duvet covers, throw, bean bag, etc). I spoke to the Gardai and they said there was nothing they could do (took her details and did up a report but nothing came of it).

I would give them eviction notice immediately. You are prorbably going to be out of pocket as theyll use the deposit as the last months rent. Count it as lost money. Just get them out.

Hi landlord,

If you intend to terminate the tenancy, make sure your termination is valid otherwise you may fall foul of the PRTB - see here for [broken link removed]of tenancy.

Personally I would go round, check they are still there, if so, talk to them. It may be a short term problem, you say they have not paid for a month, do you collect weekly or monthly, if monthly and is only one month missed, maybe they had a cash flow problem, not all tenants are bad!! I am a bit surprised at the "throw them out" attitude displayed here without knowing the full picture. Fair enough if they are newish and have not got a good history of making payments but if they have previously always paid on time and look after the house why not try to come to an arrangement before throwing them out and potentially having your property empty for a while?

ll2 said:
Personally I would go round, check they are still there, if so, talk to them. It may be a short term problem, you say they have not paid for a month, do you collect weekly or monthly, if monthly and is only one month missed, maybe they had a cash flow problem, not all tenants are bad!! I am a bit surprised at the "throw them out" attitude displayed here without knowing the full picture.

I know it sounds a bit harsh ll2, unfortunately there isnt much out there protecting landlords eventhough we pay tax and the PRTB. The upshot of this is that there are, in my opinion, quite a few "chancers" out there. For example the girl in my post went straight on to rent somewhere else immediately - there is nothing I can do to warn her new landlord. There are no official channels to register a compliant against a tenant in this scenario, or at least none at the time I had the experience and therefore nothing to discourage someone who is having money problems to just stop paying rent. If these people couldnt rent again after failing to pay rent or stealing property it would disuade a high percentage of them from re-offending.

The full picture is his tenant didnt pay his rent. You have a responsibility to pay your bills, rent is one of them. Given the scenario that this is a good person fallen on a cashflow problem or hard times surely they would have picked up the phone to forewarn the landlord?

In either case, if the OP rings up and issues an eviction notice it might just shock the tenant from being a dodgy tenant to a good one and settle all bills and not do something like this in future.

ll2 said:
.... and potentially having your property empty for a while?

This is a much better outcome than having a dodgy tenant/squatter. Chasing rent is also time and money remember.

Back