Tenant left some stuff behind

Unless the tenant's mother signed the lease, surely she has nothing to do with this situation. Why involve her?

I would involve her Filthyrich because if your child owed someone money you would like to know about it Im sure! More importantly why should this guy get away with this, it is technically stealing and quite frankly the embarassment factor in involving his mother is priceless! All I will do is tell her that her sweet little boy has been SQUATTING on my property and I would like him to pick up his stuff, theres nothing wrong with that? I question your morals Filthyrich I hope you would like to know what your offspring are up to even in their 20s because if its squatting then their upbringing is an issue.

I gave the tenant 14 days to pay the rental arrears and then sent the 28 day eviction letter so the lease has ended there are no implications of illegal eviction.

It has nothing to do with the mother, you were the one who presumably gave the ok to take on tenant, so they are your responsibility. Its a business transaction not a lecture on upbringing.

I had this problem some years back only difference is the tenant did not owe me rent. She moved to another part of the country, and when cleaning the house i found a bag of jumpers in a press. Jumpers had seen better days, lucky for me the bin was full so had to leave them for the collection the following week. Then i get a call from the tenant telling me that she left very expensive jumpers behind and she would be collecting them in a weeks time. I met her at the house with my witness, and handed her the jumpers.........boy was she mad that i still had her jumpers........ she threw the bag into her car in temper. It was a ploy to get compensation from me for very expensive jumpers and i was lucky that the bin was full. So be careful what you do with tenants property.

I question your morals Filthyrich I hope you would like to know what your offspring are up to even in their 20s because if its squatting then their upbringing is an issue.

My morals are doing great, thanks for your concern. I'm not the one who is planning on ruining everyone's Easter with a phonecall. The tenant's mother has no involvement in your tenancy agreement. It's as simple as that.

What mother would dread a call about their 25 year old son ripping someone off and squatting in someones property when they live less than 15 mins away. I may make a call to her over the weekend and ruin everyones easter.

Fair enough if you're contacting her to see if he is going to collect his bits and pieces. That's not what you said originally. You just said you may call her and ruin her Easter. And YOU'RE questioning MY morals?

For the record, I think it must be sickening to have to look after the contents of a tenant who has left you in the lurch like that. I can understand your anger. I just don't think you should take it out on the tenant's mother.

Back