Temporary Extra Driver

Ash

A mate and I will be taking a trip round the country for a week or so. We both drive our own cars but will only take one car for the trip naturally. However we want to be able to share the driving.
We have individual insurance on our own cars in our own names, have full driving licences, no penalty points, etc.
So any advice on what's the best way to go about getting us both insured on the one car for a week or so?

You should each contact your relevant insurer and enquire how much of an additional premium will be required to add an extra driver to the respective policy for the week, when you have the info choose the cheapest. This kind of thing is done all the time by garages etc when arranging to give a replacement motor while repairs are being carried out (temporary transfer) so I wouldn't forsee any difficulty. Presuming you are of similar age, driving experience, claims history etc there shouldn't be a big premium involved, mainly just a charge to cover admin. I would have thought.

check your policy, I have just discovered that I have driving of other vehicles on my policy, you may be able to update your own insurance for the driving rather than paying the extra for a few weeks, mine was given to me for no extra cost

G7979 said:
check your policy, I have just discovered that I have driving of other vehicles on my policy,

Usually you are only covered for third party with this - maybe if you are going on your travels for a week you may feel more secure with comprehensive cover!!
It shouldn't cost a huge amount to be covered on your friends insurance or vice versa

Back