Temporary cut in hours - can you sign on for the short term.

prince2008

Hello
A friend of mine has had her working hours reduced over the last couple of weeks. Some weeks, she has worked 2-3 days but last week has not worked at all. Hopefully this is only a temporary situation and will improve next week or the week after.
I advised her at the beginning to go to the social welfare office - even if only to protect her PRSI contributions (and pension / benefits) for later on, but so far has not done this.
I'm just wondering now, is it possible for her to go in this week and explain the situation like it was over the last 3/4 weeks.
Will the Social Welfare office give her forms for the boss to sign stating what hours / days she has worked?
Will she be entitled to Jobseekers Allowance and would they make a back payment to cover the last couple of weeks?
Thanks

Hi
Provided that your friend has the relevant PRSI contributions then she would be able to claim Job Seekers Benefit (casual). This involves gettting employer to sign slips confirming what days she worked etc.

I would advise her to go to SW office immediately with PPS number, letter of confirmation from employer regarding this temporary cut to hrs etc, utility bill and ID.

I dont think that she will get back date pay as SW will only start paying from when you present yourself to the SW office.

Hi

I dont think that she will get back date pay as SW will only start paying from when you present yourself to the SW office.

Will the fact she hasn't presented herself yet affect her PRSI contributions?

Yes.
Any full week that she is not working she will have no PRSI contribution for that week, therefore it is important that she goes to SW quickly apart altoghether from the loss of income.
Sounds like she is reluctant to go and it isn't a very pleasant thing to have to do but it is necessary. Thats why we have a SW system, to protect people when they need it.
Go to SW with PPS NO. Passport, Proof of address (Utility Bill) and letter from employer re reduction in working hours.

This is the first week she has not worked at all, if she goes in tomorrow, would this protect her PRSI Contributions for 2008? If she does miss one or two contributions how much of an affect would this in time to come?

I don't think she has a letter from her Employer and will hardly get one before tomorrow, so could she go in tomorrow to SW, get any necessary forms etc and get her boss to fill out the forms / write a letter next week?

Yes she can sign on immediately and follow it up with the employers letter afterwards but it is likely that SW will contact her employer.
The fact that she has missed out on one PRSI payment is unlikely to have any affect if she has been in regular work up to now.

generally you only need 39 weeks of PRSI stamps in a year so if she's got this far with a stamp each week this year would be ok for her - its now week 45. Also, even earning just 38 euro a week can get a full Class A stamp. Would it be possibe to get that much work from her employer on a quiet week? Would also suggest going to SW as quickly as possible, and also contact Citizens Advice - they often put it in much plainer english than the SW office.

Back