Television Licence and people with limited means. Any Exemptions, Reliefs ect?

Television Licence

I dont think that is correct. There was talk a few years ago of them getting a database, but I think there were data protection issues.

They cant legally send a summons to "the occupier".

Likewise, I would not advise the OP here to give a false name. OP, you should start buying the stamps and by the time the inspector calls round, you will be well on your way.
Look like its easier for Television Licence inspectors to snoop around in urban areas and a good chance of catching poor souls with no Television Licence?

They do come around in rural areas too. I remembered years ago in my parents house, TV inspectors called at least twice when we were at home during summer. So, its better not to answer the door when you're not expecting anyone?

@Redscrapbook, I wouldn't barricade myself into my house in fear of the tv licence inspector. However the only time people call to me unexpected is to sell something. I look out the window and if I don't recognise the person I don't answer the door!

I'm moving this thread as it's not a JA or SW query really. And there are similar threads in this forum.

It is so ridiculous in 2010 that they equate owning a television with using it to watch RTE! I'm surprised people don't protest more about this invasion of privacy - an inspector calling around to people's home asking questions, leaving threatening notes or whatever.
OP I'd advise you to not answer the door to any random callers. Ask anyone who is calling over to ring by phone instead. As techni-fan points out, anyone else will be some kind of sales/politician/religious or some other kind of hassle.
I've received several letters over the years, well addressed to "the occupier", I don't even open them, they go straight in the bin. For all they know there is no-one living there. So basically I would ignore their threats if I was you. They would have to be employing a large team of people to call back to everyone every 5 days.
When my sister moved into a new estate years ago, they caught what they thought was a weirdo interfering with the wheelie bins up the road. Turned out to be the TV Licence inspector trying to get names for the householders from the bins!
I'd still call that a weirdo!

I don't have a TV, forgot to mention. I've TV points that is capable to receiving TV signal, I've checked alright?

As other posters have pointed out, you are not obliged to have a tv licence because you don't have a tv.

Having said that, I'd echo other posters' view that you'd be mad to engage with these people. Best to stay off their radar in any event.

You only need a licence if you have something that has a tuner in it to recieve TV signals. TV points on the wall don't count.

An inspector called to a friend of mine, and when he said he had no TV, the inspector looked over at his shoulder and pointed at the big screen behind. Friend showed him it was a computer monitor hooked up to a laptop, and only watches DVD and stuff on the internet.

Couldn't fine him.

Hi Guys,

I think that the TV license is nothing to do with if you have a TV or not, I think you can still get into trouble, if you have an ariel in your attick you still have to have one (only heard this from someone who I worked with in the revenue commis - he used to work dealing with the TV lic)

I personally hate paying for the TV lic, so much so I set up a DD of €13 a month because if I didnt I would probably get into trouble with it and end up in court or something. The reason I have an issue with it , is because I pay for Sky each month so I dont feel I should have to pay for RTE which I dont ever watch.

I could be wrong about the above.

I completely understand why someone would think that there may be discounts if you are on the dole, you get discounts on your health i.e. medical card, bus passes ( bus pass could be argued is not needed) discount on your morgage or rental, fuel in the winter .... so why not ask :)

Isnt that what the forum is for? to ask questions.

Blueeyes.

Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence. A television licence is a certificate that states that you have paid the appropriate fee to the government and contributed to the cost of public service broadcasting in Ireland. Your television licence in Ireland is issued for 1 year, after which it must be renewed again.
[broken link removed]

1. There is no requirement for cable or satalite providers to provide An Post with details of subscribers.

2. The licence is for owning equipment capable of receiving a broadcast. You need to have a tv for this.

3. Programming over the internet is not yet considered "broadcast" you can watch tv via the internet or on a 3G phone without a licence, but not when viewed with a tv tuning card etc.

4. Some people on social welfare do qualify for a free licence, it's through the Department of Social Protection and household benefits.

5. Inspectors (officers is the correct term as state appointed enforcers, such as HSA have extensive powers, TV Licence officers are appointed by An Post) can enter a premises at any reasonable time to assertain if there is a tv there. Invite them in and show them there is no TV, that's the easiest way to stop this.

Back