Teenage shop worker and missing P45!

Z

Z100

A teenage nephew worked in a local shop on and off for a couple of years. He hasn't the first idea about tax matters but he earned so little (I don't think the owner even heard of the minimum wage) I doubt he'd have been liable for any (apart from whatever levies were due). Apparently he was given an official 'looking' payslip every month, but beyond that I'm not sure how he was paid.

He left that job last year and recently started another one in a shop in town. He's been asked for his P45 from his previous employer but having been told he (the owner of the first shop) would have it for him in a day it's now turning in to an endless saga. The latest he's been told is that the P45 is lost, so the owner will have to get on to Revenue to get another one.

Meanwhile he's expecting most of his first couple of cheques to be swallowed up by emergency tax.

What can he do? Does it seem highly unlikely that the first shop owner will ever contact Revenue? Should he contact Revenue himself?

Thanks.

If, after a reasonable length of time and a few attempts to get his P45 he should tell the shop owner that if he doesn't get the P45 within a few days he will have to contact the revenue. Obviously, he then should contact revenue. They will make contact with the employer, reminding them of their obligation to issue a P45, and send out a form to be returned to revenue.

Back