Technical Test as part of IT interview?

Joe Nonety

Has anyone had an interview for an IT position where there was a technical test?
I'm going for S/W engineering position and would like to prepare for it, but don't know where to begin, so any pointers to likely questions in the technical test would be very much appreciated.

Joe Nonety said:
Has anyone had an interview for an IT position where there was a technical test?
I'm going for S/W engineering position and would like to prepare for it, but don't know where to begin, so any pointers to likely questions in the technical test would be very much appreciated.

I imagine it will be either algorithm based or else they will ask you to write a program in the language you will be developing in.

So you should maybe bone up on your languages.

When you say technical test, what do you mean? Do you know the format of the test? Do you mean there'll be tech questions or will they ask you to sit in front of a pc and ask you to program in a certain language or test a program?
It would be unusual(in my experience) for any interviewer to ask someone to sit in front of a PC and deliver the goods on the spot.
A tech interview would normally consist of tech questions based on what you have on your C.V. to see if you know what you say you know. (fingers burnt there long, long time ago). The biggest piece of advice I could give for a tech interview is if you know your C.V inside out you should be alright. They hate bullshit and youll be found out very quickly.

Thanks for the info.

They said I'd be taking a test on a PC, which would last about an hour.
I've never heard anyone who had to do such a test so am worried to say the least.

Maybe it is one of them psysometric tests to test your suitability, I hear alot of companies are going in for them now

If it is one of the psychometric (prometric?) tests then theres a few sites out there that give sample tests but youd nearly have to know the specific test that theyed be giving you. You normally have to pay to get full test tests (if you know what I mean) as this is how these boys make their money.
Theres a site Ive used in the past called www.selftestsoftware.com you can get some samples there. Best of luck with it

Back