Taxing me overseas

nelsenryan82

Hello I just wondering,
I'll be working overseas come Oct,
in a nation that doesnt have a tax treat with Ireland,
but I'll be working on behalf of the state.
As I will be out of the country for over 90% of the year,
will I be classified as a non-resident, hence I mightnt have to pay tax.
As I'll be working abroad and the fact I've citizenship of a completely separate country Canada- could I simply claim Im not an Irish resident?

Am I subject to much tax even though I'm only earning €25k p.a?
Can the allowance for rent of €1,800 be claimed if my abode was overseas?
whats the story with the pension tax credit? If I slap in a certain amount into my pension do I receive a good amount of tax relief - Im under the age of 30

cheers

Hello I just wondering,
I'll be working overseas come Oct,
in a nation that doesnt have a tax treat with Ireland,
but I'll be working on behalf of the state.
As I will be out of the country for over 90% of the year,
will I be classified as a non-resident, hence I mightnt have to pay tax.
As I'll be working abroad and the fact I've citizenship of a completely separate country Canada- could I simply claim Im not an Irish resident?

Am I subject to much tax even though I'm only earning €25k p.a?
Can the allowance for rent of €1,800 be claimed if my abode was overseas?
whats the story with the pension tax credit? If I slap in a certain amount into my pension do I receive a good amount of tax relief - Im under the age of 30
cheers
You probably need professional advice on this one.

In relation to pension tax/PRSI relief this summarises the rules applicable to PRSAs if you are normally taxed in Ireland. Similar tax/PRSI relief applies to occupational pensions and personal pensions although some specifics may differ slightly.

agree with clubman but according to your previous posts you've only just arrived here so when you start working abroad in october you should fill in a P50 (?) which

my pc acted up whilst posting the above, please see below taken from revenue website
Can I make a Repayment Claim on leaving the country?
On leaving the country you should notify Revenue, as you may be entitled to claim a tax refund. You may do so by completing Form P50 and submitting it to your local Revenue office with Form P45 (parts 2 & 3) which you should receive from your employer.
This is from the moving to ireland tax guide section in leaflets & guides for individuals.

Last edited:
To be non resident in any tax year you need to be out of the country for 183 days. However there is a further stipulation that over any consecutive 2 year period you cannot be in the country for more than I think 280 days which means 140 days on average per year. There is a further stipulation that when in Ireland you cannot work for more than 30 days per year. If you are leaving and working for the same company they can apply for an exemption order for you in advance from the revenue which also generates a repayment of tax usually if you leave during the year. As I said in another post its worth spending a few hundred to get professional advice as if you do it wrong there will be no fixing it later.

Am I screwed due to the fact i'll be working for the Irish govt? i.e no dodging tax
How much am I liable to pat on 25k p.a - 3 - 4,000?

did you not use the calculator clubman told you to use in relation to a previous query of yours?

Back