Taxi use of Bus lanes

suzie

Can anyone confirm that taxi's by law are only allowed to use the bus lane when they have a customer? I know they dont do this in reality, but I use the lane as I'm a cyclist and I've had a number of near misses with taxis. Just like to know if I ever get in a heated debate with them.

Thanks

S.

Hi Suzie,

Taxi drivers are allowed to drive in the bus lane with passengers or if they are on the way to pick up a job.

pink

I'm sorry Pink, but I have to disagree with you.
I believe but don't have the appropriate legislation to hand, that Taxis are only allowed to use the bus lanes providing they have passengers on board.
I've seen taxis being pulled over by the Gardai on both the Malahide Road and the Swords Road on numerous occasions for this. And I have to admit I did get some pleasure out of watching! ;)
If you have had some near misses and experienced dangerous taxi driving, i would recommend making a complaint to the carriage office if you have the taxi plate number.

Hi there mo3art,

I just asked a neighbour of mine that is a taxi driver and thats what i was told. I willl ask my uncle he should know

Pink

Interesting then that Michael O'Leary can use his - is he techinacally a passenger if he owns the thing - does he pay his driver?

Pink is correct - A taxi can use the lane while empty if heading to a call out.
I've seen taxis being pulled over by the Gardai on both the Malahide Road and the Swords Road on numerous occasions for this.
So the garda pulled them over to question whether they were heading for a job. Did you hear the converstaion ?
MOL would be actually breaking the law were he to be driving a taxi for personal use in the bus lanes.

Just as a general gripe, in my experience a large percentage of taxi drivers in around Dublin are a danger to the roads. Had 3 separate incidents with them yesterday.

- On a roundabout first and one decides he has a divine right to drive through and takes offense to me not giving way to him, so starts yelling at me about it. Thankfully I was playing some music rather loud so was able to completely ignore him.
- Driving on Dame St last night and I encountered the ol' "I've put my indicator on so I can pull out when I feel like it" trick. Nearly had one plough into the side of me because I didn't give way to him.
- Driving home (during same journey as Dame St incident) had one firstly swerve between bus lane and main road lane in front of me just after canal bridge at Harolds Cross, without any indicating. Then same guy pulls up alongside me at KCR in the turn right only lane, lights turn green and he goes straight and has to swerve in front of me at speed to get back onto the correct side of the road. He then tears off into the distance well in excess of the 50kph limit.

All of these were just yesterday's experiences!! From now on I'm taking reg no's and reporting these guys. Does anyone know the best place to do this?

Dowee said:
All of these were just yesterday's experiences!! From now on I'm taking reg no's and reporting these guys. Does anyone know the best place to do this?
You could try the Garda TrafficWatch line (don't have the number to hand), but be prepared to go to the local station and give a statement at a later stage.

Back