Tax reliefs earning €35,300 and single

deco87

I have an annual pension around 33k ( retired state employee)
Work - school year - around 9 months - paid 1400 a month -
- sign on for credits when not working -
Divorced -
Does it matter or is there any advantages how you utilise your credits ?
Example - last year I see from my statement the monthly credits were :
Pension. - 2409
Job - - 535 ( totalling 35.300)
I presume it all works out the same whatever way you divide the credits - but not too sure -
- for example - the 535 is only required for 9 months - presumably it’s applied for the 12 months - as I only work 9! Once I am using all my available credit - ( also !!! How do you know if you have any “ unused” tax credits) - I’m happy-
appreciate any advice or guidance please-

thank you
Dec

Last edited:
Those look like your cut off amounts rather than your credits. If you log into your myaccount you'll be able to see what your credits and cut-off are for the year. You can split them whichever way you want between your two incomes. I'm not sure if its different for the pension part of your income but generally on an annual income of €45,600 you will pay 20% up to your cut-off amount and 40% on the balance. You are earning over your cut-off so I'm guessing you are using all your credits but just check it on your tax cert on myaccount to be sure. If you're in any doubt then complete your income tax return and you'll see any differences then.

Those look like your cut off amounts rather than your credits. If you log into your myaccount you'll be able to see what your credits and cut-off are for the year. You can split them whichever way you want between your two incomes. I'm not sure if its different for the pension part of your income but generally on an annual income of €45,600 you will pay 20% up to your cut-off amount and 40% on the balance. You are earning over your cut-off so I'm guessing you are using all your credits but just check it on your tax cert on myaccount to be sure. If you're in any doubt then complete your income tax return and you'll see any differences then.
Thank you -

Back