Tax Relief on wife's PRSA

gwen-ten

Hi

My wife took out a PRSA with Zurich in the middle of 2009. She continued working as a PAYE employee until around October 2009 and then took maternity leave. We were able to get tax relief on the PRSA as part of our annual return for 2009.

Her maternity leave stretched into March 2010, at which point she was made redundant from her job. She was not entitled to any redundancy payment.

She signed on and has been receiving jobseeker's benefit since the start of April.

We have been able to keep up the payments into the PRSA, which is performing quite well.

My question relates to any tax relief she may be entitled to on the PRSA for this year? Someone has told me that she won't be entitled to any relief as she has not been working but I'm curious to know if the maternity benefit period at the start of the year counts at all and if relief can be claimed for that period?

Any advice most gratefully accepted.

Thanks

G-T

She cannot claim tax relief against any State payments, but if her employer was paying her salary in full or in part during her maternity leave, she can claim for contributions against this income.

If she has no assessable income, she can still "store up" unused tax relief on her PRSA contributions until such time as she is back in taxable employment again.

Liam D. Ferguson

Back