Tax relief on tuition fees

gnubbit

Does anyone know how claiming tax relief on tuition fees works? I know that I can claim relief on up to 5000 euro at the standard rate, but I'm not sure if that is per tax year or per academic year.

The fees are paid in 2 halves; the first in October and the second in Feb. I got married in September last year and my hubby had paid my fees in Feb (2nd installment of 2004/5 fees) and then Oct 2005 (1st installment of 2005/6 fees) of about 3300 each. So I'm wondering what relief we can claim for 2005 - the total amount paid in 2005, or just on the 2nd (October) payment.

My head is wrecked trying to sort out our married tax allowance (tax office won't take calls or respond to emails) and I'm starting to wish I'd gone back to college to study accounting rather than pharmacy! Any help would be great.

Yes Clubman, thanks, but I couldn't find what I needed in it. Since it's my husband who's claiming the relief and we're only married since September I'm not clear on what we're entitled to - the booklet isn't very detailed.

Surely this clarifies matters:
The fees may be paid on an individual’s own behalf, or on behalf of a spouse, child or person for whom the individual is the legal guardian.
If he paid your fees before your were married then tax relief does not apply as far as I can see?

Fair enough. I was wondering if they will sum all fees paid in 2005 and give relief for the 3 months we were married, i.e Oct - Dec so 1/4 of the total relief available. Or could I expect full relief on the 3300 paid in October (after we married).

I would assume that relief only applies to the fees paid once you were married but you should check with Revenue or a tax advisor to be sure as I am not a tax expert.

Thanks Clubman, appreciate the replies. I'll continue my efforts to make contact with tax office. I wonder if anyone else has had problems getting through.

Try emailing or writing to them. I've always found it a good way to get answers to queries.

In a year of marriage you will both be treated as single people for the year. You can claim a review of your taxes and any unused rate band or credits may be transferred to the other spouse if you have elected for joint assesment. the ammount that can be transferred is aportion to the ammount of time you were married during the yearm, in your case one quarter. Claiming the tuition fees may be tricky in this respect particularly the part that was paid in Feb. My experience in tuition fees is that they dont look too much into themm, so you m,ay be yet ok. Is it a qualifying course

Thanks kjf, yes, I'm trying to claim retrospectively (for this and for other allowances) as well as set things up till my degree is finished. Yes, it is a qualifying course.

Back