tax relief on pension contributions - employer contribution?

SeamMcC

Hi all,

I am hoping you can clarify my understanding of the age-related earnings percentage limits. Does it take into account the employer’s contribution?

Some background… both my wife & myself have just landed in the 40-49 age category ;), so that allows up to 25% contribution. I have a Defined Benefit pension where my employer contributes 15% every month. My wife has a PRSA where her employer contributes 6% every month. Does the age-related earnings percentage limit take into account the employer’s contribution? Trying to figure out how to maximize our AVC contributions.

Thanks @Gordon Gekko

So my wife's contribution is maxed out due to PRSA: employer contributes 6% & she contributes 19%. But I could contribute more to my AVCs due to the DB pension: up to 25%... I'm sure there is a good reason behind this, but seems unfair given inherent benefits of DB pension.

But so be it. We'll play by the rules of the game... It just prompts some additional questions given Standard Fund Threshold, etc... I'll run some analysis first.

Good suggestion.

Unfortunately her employer is not the most accommodating on many fronts & I don't know how much longer she will be working there... But worth keeping in mind if she changes roles. Thanks again @Gordon Gekko

Back