Key Post Tax relief for medical and dental expenses

Great post. Just to add. As far as I know, there is a threshhold of €250 per family p.a. on which the relief at 20% will not be allowed.

This used to be the case, but the threshold was scraped a few years ago.

Is it possible to claim tax back on dental expenses if the tax paid is on dividend income, NOT PAYE ??

I just got a letter in the post this morning , saying that i need to submit the receipts etc for health expenses for 2012, as I claimed tax credits. I'm worried that I haven't kept everything now, as I just moved house. I know I should have but I was careless. What will happen?

I just got a letter in the post this morning , saying that i need to submit the receipts etc for health expenses for 2012, as I claimed tax credits. I'm worried that I haven't kept everything now, as I just moved house. I know I should have but I was careless. What will happen?

Camarilla,

If you have a tracked record of your expenses, you should be able to go back to the medical providers and request a copy of the invoices.

Re this piece of your post:

"If you claim from a private health insurer ( VHI, Laya, Aviva, HSF), you need to submit original receipts and they do not send them back to you. However, the complete claim documentation from the health insurance company can be used instead of receipts for a tax claim"

It might be useful for some people to know that while the private health insurers do not send back the original receipts, they will do so if you request them to. I always ask for them to be returned and they always oblige. I often need to keep them for my own medical records - when I had what procedure etc.

Has anyone tried to claim tax relief on counselling services? I tried, but was turned down some years ago and I'm wondering if that has changed.

Fair play to Josie Fehilly & Co.

For Windoze user, here is a diary-type app that allows PAYE workers to track medical expenses for the current year and 4 previous years.

I haven't been able to look at it, but it should be up to their usual standards.

http://www.ros.ie/AIR/RevenueDesktop.html

Back