Tax reclaim question

D

don1

I recently posted this but did not get any replys so I will try once more for luck.......I am finding it difficult to find information on the following issue. I work for a US multinational in Northern Ireland and a I am resident in the ROI. In recent years I have exercised stock options and was taxed automatically 40% at source. I was recently informed that in the ROI share options are taxed at 20%. Does this mean that if I file a tax reurn in the ROI and am deemed to have paid too much tax compared to what I have paid in Northern Ireland, that I can reclaim the difference from the UK revenue commissioners. My wife is unemployed and also resident in the ROI.

Any comments appreciated.

I don't know if this is much help but if you go onto www.revenue.ie, click on .....for individuals on the left hand side, under working select shares from your employer option, it explained the tax that needs to be paid by you when you exercise your share options. It also explaines the form needed (Form RTSO1) to calculate out how much tax you need to pay.
Hopefully this is of some help to you and not something you already know!!!

Mr X

You can claim a credit for UK tax paid against Irish income tax due.
Some info here in this link:
[broken link removed]

Back